File associations not transferred on using Backup/Restore User Customizations

File associations not transferred on using Backup/Restore User Customizations

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 23, 2017#1

Running UE 24.00.0.56 on a Windows 7 Pro laptop. Got a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I went into UE to backup my settings (Advanced -> Backup Settings). Got the Backup/Restore User Customizations window and did a Select All, then Backup. Installed UE on the new machine and restored that backup file. Everything looks good except for the File Associations (Advanced -> Settings -> File Associations).

Is there some way to transfer the associations or do I have to do this manually?

Also, I have an All-Access pass. How do I deactivate the license on that old machine?

Thanks

Power UserPower User

Mar 23, 2017#2

As far as the file associations go, I think that as you are doing an install on a new OS that you'll have to set things up there again manually.

As far as the license goes, on your old machine, when you have UE open, if you are running in ribbon mode, click Support/About, and the "About" dialog that opens has a button to unregister/deactivate.

If you are running in toolbar mode, contemporary menus, the same dialog is presented by clicking either Help/About or File/About.

And if you are running toolbar mode, traditional menus, then the same dialog is presented by clicking Help/About.

Cheers...

Frank

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 28, 2017#3

Add/delete file associations means modifying the Windows registry for current user, i.e. keys and values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes. File associations are not stored in INI file of UltraEdit. Therefore file associations can't be transferred from one computer to another computer using Backup/Restore User Customizations.

File associations added in UltraEdit for opening files with a double click in UltraEdit are also not automatically deleted on uninstalling UltraEdit. The user has to delete the file associations manually using UltraEdit before uninstalling UltraEdit. But this is the Windows standard. I'm not aware of any uninstaller which restores previous file associations made from within an application. Some uninstallers remove file associations made by the installer of an application, but I have never seen an uninstaller which removes/restores file associations made by the user using the installed application.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria