User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

Syntax highlighting, code folding, brace matching, code indenting, and function list
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello.

I hope I'm missing something here, but I can't find a setting that would allow me specify what file extension should use which syntax highlighting.

I know we can specify this inside syntax highlighting files, however using that method is only good until next update. With each update the syntax highlighting files are overwritten and any changes we made are gone (I keep wordfiles in a subfolder inside where UES is installed).

Any advice?

Thank you.
There is no additional setting for syntax highlighting language association.

You are doing something wrong. It looks like you modify the *.uew files in wordfiles subdirectory in program files directory of UEStudio. That's the wrong directory for making your customizations. This directory is managed by the installer of UEStudio. Users have by default no write access to this directory on using standard installation paths and standard Windows configuration.

The Readme for the Syntax Highlighting forum explains in details how the wordfiles are managed by UE and UES.

The wordfiles are usually copied on first run by UEStudio from wordfiles subdirectory in program files directory of UEStudio to wordfiles subdirectory in application data directory of UEStudio. Once this copy is made, the wordfiles in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\wordfiles are not updated anymore as long as this directory exists independent on number of *.uew files in this directory (0 to n).

The directory in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\wordfiles is by default also configured at Advanced - Settings/Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting. The directory displayed in this configuration dialog is where UEStudio really searches for wordfiles.

Customizations must be done on the wordfiles in directory displayed at Advanced - Settings/Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting by selecting the language, clicking on button Open and when all wordfiles to edit are opened on button Cancel to close the configuration dialog. Then the opened wordfiles can be customized and most changes (but not all) become immediately active on save making it possible to view the display results of the change on a highlighted file opened in same instance of UEStudio without the need to close and re-open the wordfiles or even restart UEStudio.

At Advanced - Settings/Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting it is also possible to configure a completely different directory than default %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\wordfiles which can be any directory, but should not be the wordfiles subdirectory in program files directory of UEStudio in case of customizations are made on the wordfiles which should be kept on updates.

UEStudio never copies wordfiles from wordfiles subdirectory in program files directory of UEStudio to a customized wordfiles directory even if the customized wordfiles directory does not exist on start of UEStudio. A customized wordfiles directory must be managed always completely by the customer. If you are using multiple user accounts on your machine and want to use the same wordfiles by all accounts, the usage of a customized wordfiles directory is the best choice.
Best regards from Austria
Thank you.

You are right, it's something I did wrong. I guess my thought was, if I can specify path to files, why do I need 2 set of same files...

Created a new folder inside UES, copy word files in it. It works fine almost portable and should be not affected by updates anymore.
3 posts Page 1 of 1