Wrong brace highlighting in UE 24.00 on Python file (fixed)

Wrong brace highlighting in UE 24.00 on Python file (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

May 04, 2017#1

Hi,

I recently upgraded to UltraEdit 24 and now for some reason when I develop Python code (I haven't tried with any other source types), it frequently highlights the incorrect matching brace when the cursor is on a brace (see attachment). Currently I'm using an old wordfile from when I had version 22 installed, but I tried replacing it with the Python wordfile that came with the upgrade and it still had the same problem. Please tell me how to fix this as it's making me crazy. :)
    wrong_brace_highlight.PNG (3.84KiB)
    Example of wrong brace highlighting in my Python file

Basic UserBasic User

May 05, 2017#2

Sorry, didn't read all that and maybe you guys already know that, but the problem starts when there are 2 or more characters in front of opening bracket.

A simple test:

Code: Select all

( a ( a ( a ) ) )
      ( aa ( a ( a ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( a ) ) )
      ( a ( a ( aa ) ) )
      ( aa ( aa ( a ) ) )
      ( aa ( a ( aa ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( aa ) ) )
      ( aa ( aa ( aa ) ) )
      The result is:
      ( a ( a ( a ) ) )

( aa ( a ( a ) ) )

( aa ( a ( a ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( a ) ) )

( aa ( a ( a ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( a ) ) )
      ( a ( a ( aa ) ) )

( aa ( aa ( a ) ) )

( aa ( a ( aa ) ) )

( aa ( aa ( a ) ) )
      ( aa ( a ( aa ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( aa ) ) )

( aa ( a ( aa ) ) )
      ( a ( aa ( aa ) ) )
      ( aa ( aa ( aa ) ) )
      I've sent this bug report to support team and they sent me link for UES 17.00.0.18 (private user verification build) where this brace highlighting issue is fixed.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 06, 2017#3

I could not reproduce exactly the wrong brace highlighting as reported by you here in user to user forum. But I could see other wrong brace highlightings and have just sent following report by email to IDM support:
        Mofi wrote:I'm using 32-bit UltraEdit v24.00.0.76 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Windows Classic desktop theme. UltraEdit is using default configuration which means entire application data directory of UltraEdit was created new by UltraEdit including the wordfiles and the only change I made was switching from ribbon mode to toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus.

There is attached the very small Python file PythonBraceHighlighting.py with just two lines as posted at http://forums.ultraedit.com/topic17332.html by forum member Ganymede.

I can't reproduce what the forum member reported with UE v24.00.0.76, but I have detected nevertheless a wrong brace highlighting on a closing brace on moving caret one line down and one more on a closing brace.

For reference look on the attached image PythonBraceHighlighting.png with the 5 snippets made on doing the steps as posted below.
        1. Open the Python file PythonBraceHighlighting.py.
        2. Move the caret to right using RIGHT ARROW key in line 1 to column 10.
          The opening and its matching closing round bracket are highlighted as expected. Moving caret one more character to right keeps the brace highlighting. One more character to right and brace highlighting disappears with caret on line 1 at column 12.
        3. Move caret further with RIGHT ARROW until reaching column 23.

I would expect at this position a brace highlighting of the closing parenthesis and its matching opening parenthesis. But ( and ) are both not highlighted, see top most snippet on attached PNG file.
        4. Next press key DOWN ARROW to move caret down to line 2 column 23.

Now suddenly the closing parenthesis at line 1 column 23 is highlighted together with the opening parenthesis at line 2 column 23 and the closing parenthesis at line 2 column 58, see second snippet on PNG.

The highlighting of the closing parenthesis at line 1 column 23 is definitely not correct here.
        5. Move caret one character to the right with key RIGHT ARROW.
          The two outer parenthesis in line 2 are still correct highlighted.

But the closing parenthesis in line 1 is also still highlighted as it can be seen on third snippet on PNG file.
        6. Move caret to right with key RIGHT ARROW and it looks like brace highlighting in second line works correct.

But the closing round bracket in first line is highlighted all the time, see fourth snippet.
        7. Last move the caret in line 2 to right at column 58.

This results in highlighting the closing parenthesis at column 58, but completely wrong the opening parenthesis at column 35 instead of the right opening parenthesis at column 23, see bottom snippet.
        Switching to any other application and back to UltraEdit removes the brace highlighting of closing round bracket at line 1 column 23.

It does not matter if the Python file is ANSI 1252 encoded or UTF-8 encoded.
        File PythonBraceHighlighting.py:

Code: Select all

with open(outfile,'vt') as fo:
            for mdid in sorted(fvdict.keys(), key=lambda x:int(x))
        PythonBraceHighlighting.png (9.71KiB)
        The PNG file with the 5 snippets made on writing this issue report.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 06, 2017#4

Oh I didn't notice that this was just a user-to-user forum, thanks for contacting support. You are extremely thorough!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 08, 2017#5

Ganymede, I have good news for you.

I have received on my report a reply that all 3 reported brace highlighting issues are fixed in non public user verification build (UVB) 24.00.0.79 with links to 32- and 64-bit English version of this build. I have downloaded and installed 32-bit UE version 24.00.0.79 for verification by me. And indeed the brace highlighting on the small Python file works as expected with that version which I have replied back to IDM support by email.

I have no idea when next version of UltraEdit is released public.

NewbieNewbie

May 08, 2017#6

Great news, thanks Mofi!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 25, 2017#7

UE version 24.10.0.23 was released on May 24, 2017 which has the brace highlighting issues fixed.