Manual editing of file makes the remainder of the text compare disappear

Manual editing of file makes the remainder of the text compare disappear

NewbieNewbie

May 17, 2017#1

When doing merges, often I use the "merge first to second" buttons.

Sometimes, it's necessary to manually edit the second file. When I start to make a manual change, the remainder of the file being edited suddenly disappears. It comes back after saving but often I want to make several precise changes and save all at once.

Is there a reason for this or is it a bug? I'm on the latest version (17.00.0.21).

Thanks,
    Mike

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 21, 2017#2

I'm not really sure what you mean. So I explain step by step what I think you do.
      1. A text comparison is started with 2 files to compare which really have differences.
      2. UltraCompare is configured to automatically move to first difference after compare because of option Move to first difference after compare is enabled in configuration at Application Layout opened in ribbon mode with a click on ribbon tab Home on item Settings or in toolbar/menu mode with a click in menu Options on menu item Configuration.

For that reason it is possible to directly use the command Merge First to Second for example with key Alt+RIGHT ARROW.
      3. UltraCompare is configured to automatically move to first difference after merge because of option Move to next difference after merge is enabled in configuration at Application Layout.

So it is possible again to directly use the command Merge First to Second for example with the right arrow item between the two compared files.
      4. But now it is necessary to make additionally a manual edit in second file. Therefore a click is made on second file at the position where the manual edit must be done and this edit is performed.
      5. After this action it is necessary to use the command Go to Next Difference for example by pressing key F3 or by clicking on green down arrow on right side above left file.
      6. After having active line in both files moved to next difference indicated by showing on both sides the different block with colors defined for a difference, it is again possible to use Merge First to Second.
      7. After several more executions of Merge First to Second the merge process is finished and comparison session is closed with positive confirmation of saving the modified second file on user prompt.
      I suppose that you miss the fifth step which is the reason why you can't further use the command Merge First to Second after a manual edit in second file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria