How can I quickly switch to an open file by typing its name?

How can I quickly switch to an open file by typing its name?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 04, 2017#1

Hi everyone,

I have 20+ files open in UE at any given time and a good portion of these files are essentially "permanent" (I never close those tabs). That means I remember most of their names by heart but unfortunately not their visual location because some of them I use only once a week or so.

I was wondering if there's a way to quickly switch the focus to an already open file that I know its name? Preferably I'd type the first few letters and it'll auto-trim the list of currently open tabs.

The workaround I use for now is just putting all files in one folder and "re-opening" them (they're already open). Not the most sexy way...

Thanks for any response!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 04, 2017#2

What about using Open tab in File View? It has a search field at top if the list of open files is very long.

Window - All windows (ribbon mode and toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus) or Window - Windows (toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus) can be also used to get at list of opened files and make one active.

And it would be possible to write a small UltraEdit script executed by hotkey for this task. The script asks the user for begin (or any part) of the file name, searches in list of opened files for a file beginning (or containing) the entered string and makes the first found file active. In case of first found file with a match is already the active file, it searches for next file also with a positive match on entered string. In case of no file found beginning (or containing) the entered string, the script shows the string entering dialog once again with the information, that previous string "..." was not found in any opened file. The script user could leave this loop with entering no string if the file to activate is not opened at all.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 04, 2017#3

Thanks for the quick response, Mofi!
        Mofi wrote:What about using Open tab in File View? It has a search field at top if the list of open files is very long.
        How do I do that? If it matters, I'm on v21.10 (planning to upgrade soon).
        Mofi wrote:Window - All windows (ribbon mode and toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus) or Window - Windows (toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus) can be also used to get at list of opened files and make one active.
        It's not a text searchable list unfortunately. :cry:
        Mofi wrote:And it would be possible to write a small UltraEdit script executed by hotkey for this task. [...]
        Hopefully I won't need to go to such drastic lengths. :lol:

Thanks again!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 05, 2017#4

Here is a screenshot showing File Tree View with tab Open selected with the search field at top of the view as available in UltraEdit for Windows v21.10.

file_view_open_files_list.png (40.16KiB)
          List of Open files in File View
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 05, 2017#5

Works like a charm!

Thanks, Mofi!!!