CPU usage with version 11.20

CPU usage with version 11.20

NewbieNewbie

Oct 24, 2005#1

Hia,

Just wondering if anyone is having CPU spike problems with the latest version. Im running 11.20 and NOD32 antivirus if thats relevant, currently sitting on about 45% CPU as a constant which is pretty annoying.

I have added it to the exclusion list anyways in NOD32 so that largely rules that out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

MasterMaster

Oct 24, 2005#2

I'm not seeing anything like that on my system (XP SP2, Avast anti-virus). Task Manager shows CPU 00 for UE, briefly shows 13 when I do a Search/Replace on a 300k file, then back to 00.
      Software For Metalworking
      http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Oct 24, 2005#3

Yeah its a bit of a surprise, im fairly curious to see where its coming from :)

p4mobile notebook with 1.6ghz, 512, windows xp, nod32 here.

CPU seems to hover around 48-50 and surges to 80 if I'm typing. I thought perhaps it was auto complete but no such luck.

I actually deleted the previous version I had to upgrade too, always the way when deadlines are looming. I'll try and find an older version somewhere. Hope its localised to my machine and not a bug with the latest release as its otherwise been faultless for me.

Oct 27, 2005#4

I just managed to dig an old copy (11.00b) off a backup and that seems to be working fine. Reinstalling the new version leads to the same CPU problems.

I'll happily stick with 11.00b until its worked out although the new features look fantastic.

Looking forward to using the new version.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 27, 2005#5

When running new version of UltraEdit with heavy CPU usage on your PC, open Task Manager and activate Processes tabs. Then from menu View click on Select Columns. Activate additional columns like I/O Writes, I/O Reads, I/O Other. Do you see a fast increasing counter in one of this 3 columns for process uedit32.exe?

Yes, use more information tools from SysInternals. Process Explorer (a full replacement for the task manager), Filemon and Regmon could help you to detect, why UltraEdit needs so much CPU performance.

Another approach is to temporarily remove your UltraEdit configuration and run UltraEdit with default settings. To do this, close all instances of UltraEdit and move all uedit32.* files to a different directory. Normally the uedit32.* files are in your personal user application directory. See topic "INI File Selection and Advanced Settings" in the help of UltraEdit about details, where UltraEdit searches for the ini-file and the other configuration files and so where you have to search for, too.

Have you disallowed write access to the directory where UltraEdit wants to save it's new configurations files after update? The new version updates the menu and toolbar files and adds the new popup menu files at first start.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 29, 2005#6

Thanks for the kind reply. I used the older version to get my current job finished and actually just now reinstalled and had a look through options to try and find what may be causing the problem.

After having a play for a while, I found what seems to be causing the spikes and it was having the html toolbar shown (I don't use it anyways)

It is definately that as I can replicate the problems by showing the toolbar again. When typing anything in UE with that toolbar open, CPU spikes to 80% while typing.

For anyone wanting to see if it happens to them,

view menu > View Lists > toolbars > html toolbar

You can enable or disable it from there.

Hope this helps anyone else who is having the problem (if anyone) and maybe helps the dev guys if it does turn out to be a bug and not something particular with my setup.

MasterMaster

Oct 29, 2005#7

I see CPU 6-9 with the HTML toolbar hidden, 25-30 when it's visible. This is when I'm typing as fast as I can with two fingers. I'll send IDM a note.
                Software For Metalworking
                http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Nov 10, 2005#8

Wonderful! I just joined this Forum (after sending a support request) to see if anyone could tell me why Task Manager was reporting Page Faults due to I/O Reads at the rate of 420/sec. I upgraded to 11.20+4 overnight and hadn't even noticed that the HTML toolbar was visible. Hiding it cuts the Page Faults to nil. I'm pleased, and I've easily recovered my subscription fee already. :D

NewbieNewbie

Nov 25, 2005#9

If you report bugs you get your money back? That's too sweet. I'd almost feel ashamed to do that, though. I use UltraEdit so much, it's worth the $.

This was a good catch. It was happening on my system too.

Win2ksp4, Athlon 2900+ (oem cpu).

Garry

Jan 05, 2008#10

Hello. Not sure this is related to the original post, but I wanted to share my experience in case it would help someone else. When I upgraded to version 13.10 of Ultraedit, my computer CPU immediately pegged at near 100 percent usage whenever attempting to open a file with UE. I removed the uedit32.ini file from the c:\windows directory and the problem went away.