Problem with 'prj' file association

Problem with 'prj' file association

NewbieNewbie

Sep 24, 2004#1

I want to use UE together with an IAR compiler.

But as IAR already uses 'prj' for project files ... is there a way to change prj inside UE to some other extension eg pru ?

UE seems to be hardwired to prj for files given via commandline

That will end up in confusion ... :(
    trains collide on a regular basis
    stars explode
    and fireworks don't

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 24, 2004#2

Yes, the extension of UltraEdit project file is prj and cannot be changed and no command line option is available to specify a file with a different extension as project file. This is a problem of many applications, which uses projects.

This problem was discussed in the old forum. Not available anymore - see below my next post..

Maybe the workaround I wrote there is usefull for you.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 07, 2005#3

Being new, I am still looking around and found this old thread. But the old forum referenced no longer exists. What was the workaround for UE specific prj files?

One thing that I found that seems to work for now is to hexedit the uedit32.exe using UltraEdit and replace the little "prj"s with "pru"s. Now when I create a new project file, it is looking for .pru files and it saves my projects as .pru files. The downside to this is that I lose the change and have to re-patch the .exe every time there is an upgrade or hotfix...

Since the extension "prj" is referenced explicitly, it seems like it would be fairly easy to make the extension a configurable item. It is probably not very high up on the requirements list, though...
        - Chris
        Living in Florida is like being on vacation all the time!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2005#4

The workaround was to add a context menu entry for all programs, which use .prj files and set the most needed one as default. The default association is activated by double clicking on the file.

The alternatives are shown by right clicking on the file in the context menu and the user can now select the appropriate tool. The project files are named for example projectname_avr.prj, projectname_ue.prj, ... so the user knows, which is the appropriate tool for this project file and how it should be opened - with double click or selecting the correct tool from the right mouse button menu list.

I have installed three programs - Tasking EDE, ICCAVR and UE - which all have .prj as extension for project files and none of these programs let me specify a different extension for their project file. But with this workaround, I have no problem to handle it.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 08, 2005#5

Mofi wrote:The workaround was to add a context menu entry for all programs, which use .prj files and set the most needed one as default. The default association is activated by double clicking on the file.
            How do you add a context menu entry? Is that a UE thing? Or is it a Windows thing? Are you talking about when I use Windows Explorer to find a file and right-click the file? Then I get the little menu that includes things like Properties, Send To, Open With, etc. Is that the context menu?

Or are you talking about finding files in the UE Explorer tab and right clicking on them there?
            - Chris
            Living in Florida is like being on vacation all the time!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 10, 2005#6

crodgers wrote:How do you add a context menu entry? Is that a UE thing? Or is it a Windows thing?
              It is a general Windows feature. Open Windows Explorer - search for the Folder Options in the menu - click on File Types - search for the correct file type, i.e. Project Files .prj - click on the Edit button - click on button New - enter for example "Open with UltraEdit" and set path to uedit32.exe - OK. I cannot exactly describe the procedure, because it differs a little on various windows OS. I'm writting this at the moment with Win98.
              crodgers wrote:Are you talking about when I use Windows Explorer to find a file and right-click the file? Then I get the little menu that includes things like Properties, Send To, Open With, etc. Is that the context menu?
              Yes, that's what I talk about.