Font: Col mode cursor missing in column one using Cleartype

Font: Col mode cursor missing in column one using Cleartype

NewbieNewbie

Nov 16, 2005#1

I just upgraded to the latest version (v11.20+5) and I've noticed right away that my standard editor font changed a bit. I've made some tweaks to the default editor font (removing bold) but I've now noticed that when I change to column mode (CTRL-C) and select multiple rows with the cursor in column one, I don't see the "vertical line" like I used to. If I change to another column and select rows vertically, I see the line.

I've tried enabling the "Editor Display" option for "Setting this may improve display issues with Clear Type fonts on Windows XP" but it did not make any improvement. I was able to get the column one bar to show IF I disabled Clear Type fonts in XP (outside of UE).

What changes were made to the font engine of UE since the last version I had (which was, I think, 11.10b)? Thanks!

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Nov 17, 2005#2

Hi Diakonos

There are actually two fonts, one for normal editing and another font for Column/Hex editing.

The settings are right next to each other and therfore confusing.
      Pull down menu "View" ---> "Set Font" but right above that is "HEX/Column Mode Font..."
      That why when you do Alt + C the font changes.
      I use Andale Mono as my normal editing font but Courier New is for HEX/Column by default (because I didn't change that).

Hope this answers your question.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 17, 2005#3

Actually, no it doesn't answer my question. I know there are different fonts for each mode (column or normal). I was using Tahoma 9pt Bold for regular coding and the default Courier New for column mode. Once I installed UE 11.20+5 I switched the standard font to Tahoma 9t Normal because it looked better.

The initial issue I noticed affects the vertical selection cursor in column mode when the cursor is in column one. I normally select rows by holding down the SHIFT key and pressing UP or DOWN. However, now, when I select rows in column mode from column one, I can't see the vertical selection cursor. If I move to column two and try again, I see the vertical bar.

Also, I've noticed that using Tahoma 9pt Normal appears to "shave off" the right edge of certain letters when the font color is bold. I'll see if I can get some screen caps uploaded a bit later to show exactly what I mean.

Again, both of these issues are fixed if I turn off Clear Type in the Display Properties > Appearance > Effects menu. However, Clear Type really helps the looks for fonts (for all applications) on my laptop so I prefer to leave Clear Type turned on. I'll give your font choice a whirl (Andale Mono) and see if I like it.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Nov 17, 2005#4

diakonos

Because you know what fixes the problem you might fire off a email to IDM folks and let them know what you found.

The reason I like Andale Mono is the zeros.

Sorry, I didn't say this sooner but there is a HotFix which brings it up to 11.20+5.

Good Luck

NewbieNewbie

Nov 17, 2005#5

Yes, I'll send them a note.

I am using 11.20+5 (according to the Help > About menu) which is what installed when I chose the latest full UE download from the site.

Following are some screen caps from my UE. Again, I'm using Tahoma Normal 9pt for standard font and Courier New Regular 10 for column/hex mode.

Missing column cursor in column 1 using column/hex mode:
            Image 1: Column mode with Clear Type turned on.

The image above has three lines selected in column mode: 121-123. The cursor is in column one (and invisible).

Image 2: Column mode with Clear Type turned off.

This is the same as Image #1 except that Clear Type is now turned off and the vertical cursor spanning three lines is now visible.

Image 3: Column mode with Clear Type turned on.

The image above has three lines selected in column mode: 121-123. The cursor is in column two with Clear Type turned on and the vertical line is visible. As you can see, the problem only occurs (AFAIK) when the cursor is in column one.

Image 4: Column mode with Clear Type turned off.

This is the same as the Image #3 except that Clear Type is now turned off . The vertical cursor spanning three lines is visible.

Somewhat related to the Clear Type issue is a problem with some of the characters getting "chopped" slightly on the right side as this image shows:

In this image you can see the letter "l" is missing from "strOwnerEmail" with Clear Type turned on. Also, the "m"s on "Trim" are faded out as well on the right side. Not as visible here in standard font mode is the "O" in "rsADO" -- but if you look at the column-mode images above (using Clear Type), you can see it more clearly.

Here are the same lines with Clear Type turned off but the "l" is now visible.

For now, I'm testing other fonts to find one I really like to using in standard mode (although I'm a big fan of Tahoma).

I did find that when I increased the font size from 9pt to 10pt with Clear Type on, it did help the visibility, although I'd rather have a smaller font on the laptop screen to see more code at once.

I see this has gotten rather lengthy, but I'm curious as to what may have caused these issues with Clear Type. Until I installed 11.20+5, I did not have these issues (I upgraded from 11.10b). When I searched the forums for other Clear Type-related issues, I saw one which noted the "Editor Display" setting for Clear Type and XP which I had not know about previously. Checking or unchecking the box seems to have no effect on my display (XP Pro SP1).

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! --d