large EBCDIC files

large EBCDIC files

NewbieNewbie

Sep 27, 2004#1

I'm looking for a viewer/editor for large binary EBCDIC files from a mainframe. Can UltraEdit view these files?

I also have fixed length records. Is that do-able?

NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2004#2

ChrisA,

I have the same question. Were you able to get any help on the subject?

Thanks

TonyC

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Dec 22, 2004#3

Hi Chris & Tony

I'm not a mainframe guy but a AS/400 programmer.
        What I'm about to say is only my option.
        You know that joke about everyone having one, right?

Here's the biggest problem with UE as a EBCDIC editor.
        When UE downloads a file it uses FTP, on the 400, FTP doesn't convert packed numeric fields.

So that's the biggest issue I see using UE as a editor.

I'm going to make a suggestion, and I've never used this product, but here goes. You might want to look at Vedit.
        This editor has been around over 20 years and there ads claim to be a data editor for EBCDIC. http://www.vedit.com
        Vedit has been around longer than the IBM PC (1981) I think the first version ran under CP/M on 4mhz Zilog Z80 S-100 system.

You might want to let us know what you find out.
        Good Luck

NewbieNewbie

Dec 27, 2004#4

Chris and Tony -

I am a past IBM mainframe guy, and as far as I know, MrBillG is correct in his assertion that VEDIT is probably the only editor that can convert packed (comp-3) fields for you.

However, this comes at a very steep price. The base price of VEDIT is $50.00 for an 18-month license. But wait, that's not all; the add-on EBCDIC module that you will need to purchase to convert your packed decimal fields is another $544.00 dollars! UltraEdit, is by far a lot cheaper and has been around for a while. I have been using it since version 6.

A much cheaper way, if you will, could be to output a look-a-like file, copying the packed decimal fields to zoned decimal display fields (-ZZZ,ZZZ,ZZ0). Then you would have no problem editing the file in UltraEdit. Of course, I'm assuming you can do that, maybe with a 4GL product like Easytrieve or Dylakor or a quick and dirty COBOL program. If you have already come to this conclusion, great, and if you need some more of my two cents, please let me know.

Take care,

Wayne.o

NewbieNewbie

Dec 29, 2004#5

Just currious of anyone had mentioend EBCDIC requests to IDM and if so what was the response?

As you know feature requests are nice to discuss here, but IDM prefers feature requests to be sent to them directly. I am sure IDM has some large corperate clienst that might push for this also.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 11, 2005#6

I might be missing something, but I view/edit large EBCDIC files (IBM R-series mainframe) all the time with UltraEdit.
              Admittedly, the contents are just structured plain text. If you've got more complex needs, then perhaps UltraEdit isn't the right answer.
              I don't use the FTP features of UE; I use Seagull BlueZone's file transfer features for 90% of my work.