UEStudio 05: Keep getting "Could not find tag"

UEStudio 05: Keep getting "Could not find tag"

NewbieNewbie

Jan 11, 2006#1

Been unsuccessful to get Ctags to work for me using the F11 to find symbol. :(

Here's some details of what i have done: -
    1) Copied Ctags.exe file to the uestudio directory: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\
    2) My settings in "Ctags Options" are as follows: -
    Default tagfile: Y:\tags.lst (this is the directory to my source files)
    Ctags exe/path name: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\ctags.exe
    Ctag parameters: -L %fi -f tags.lst %fo

I'm currently trying to set it up for C/C++. Can someone help?

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 11, 2006#2

-f tags.lst %fo is wrong. %fo already specifies the tag file name. If you add the tag file name also to the parameters without path, ctags creates tags.lst in current working directory and ignores the second file specified by the %fo parameter specification, but UEStudio searches for Y:\tags.lst.

UEStudio has a built in tag generator. Why do you need ctags?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 11, 2006#3

Hi Mofi, I'm quite new to uestudio. I did see ctags.exe & ues_ctags.exe under the gnu directory in uestudio. I have tried both of them but to no avail.

Could you please advise on the settings?

FYI, I have also tried the following: -
        -L %fi -f %fo
        -L %fi %fo

But nothing seems to work.

Questions:
        1. Default tagfile: Do I pt this to my project directory or uestudio directory?
        2. which ctags.exe file do i use. If uestudio's, how to I set the path of the exe?
        2. What shld the settings of the ctags parameters be?

Tks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 11, 2006#4

In UltraEdit I use UltraEdit projects and so the tagfile for the project is specified in the project settings and is stored in the project directory. I do not use the default tagfile which I have set to be created in the UltraEdit directory because I never use ctags for files without project except for tests to answer forum user questions. If you do not have a project with project files UltraEdit only runs ctags.exe with the current file as only source which is normally not really helpful.

UEStudio does not have the option to specify a project specific ctags tagfile in the project files dialog as UltraEdit. In UEStudio an additional tab for project settings is available were you can choose between the integrated UEStudio tag support or use UltraEdit method with ctags. See help of UEStudio about "Project Settings dialog" and "ClassViewer".

The Ctags support in UEStudio with the default tagfile is like in UltraEdit only for the current active file, when no UEStudio project is currently active.

Have you already run the ctag file creation? This is an extra menu point and you have to run the creation/update of the tagfile always manually. With a project tagfile you can also set it to automatically create/update it on project open.

The advantage of the integrated UEStudio tag support is that the tagfile is automatically updated during editing and you can use the class viewer. I suggest first to try the integrated UEStudio tag support with projects which really works good for C/C++.

If you do not want the integrated UEStudio tag support and choose ctags, it is not important where the ctags tagfile is stored and which name it has. You only should have write access to the directory where the tagfile will be created.
          For help about the parameters for ctags see in help of UEStudio the topic "Ctags support". The help for Ctags itself with a detailed description of possible parameters can be found at http://ctags.sourceforge.net/ in the documentation files in the archive file ec554w32.zip.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 12, 2006#5

Hi Mofi, thanks for the info.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am using the project settings to set up my project and have currently chosen "Legacy Ctags support" since I don't seem to have an option to choose "Integrated - UEstudio" - saw this additional option from the help file.

The tags under classviewer have been generated successfully but I am unable to do the "Find Symbol" thing by pressing F11. I found this feature useful when I was using Ultraedit v10+. Can I still use this feature in uestudio? If so, how?

Thank you for your continuous support.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Uestudio 05: Keep getting "Could not find tag"

Jan 12, 2006#6

I have UEStudio currently not installed. I'm actually in a phase where I'm installing and testing all IDM products and will install UEStudio again in a few weeks. Sorry, I can't help you anymore without installing UEStudio now and I do not want to this at the moment.

Maybe someone else which uses UEStudio can help you or write an email to IDM support and ask for clarification about the "Find Symbol" command and why it does not work with the integrated UEStudio tag support and why you do not have the option to choose between "Integrated - UEStudio" and "Legacy - UltraEdit".

NewbieNewbie

Jan 12, 2006#7

Mofi, tks for your support.

Anyways, I've finally managed to get the CTags working and for everyone's benefit, here goes.
                Use the default settings for Ctags options (no change):
                Default tagfile: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\tags.lst
                CTag Exe: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\GNU\ctags.exe
                Ctag parameter: -L %fi -f %fo

Then open a new project (somehow it does not work if continue to use same project). And add your files to form a new project. Most important of all, do NOT enable "Legacy Ctags Support"