64 bit addresses in hex mode?

64 bit addresses in hex mode?

NewbieNewbie

Feb 24, 2006#1

I am curious if 64 bit addresses will be implemented anytime soon? For some of the work I do that would be a huge improvement, especially when I want to go to a specific address in a file > 4GB.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 25, 2006#2

I guess, nobody else is editing a file >4 GB in hex mode. The number of users editing files >100 MB in any mode is already very low. 2 of my 3 computers only have a 6.4 GB harddisk so I'm sure I will never edit a 4 GB file. And I think 99.9 % of the users of UltraEdit will also never need it.

However, your wish for a 64 bit address range in hex mode must be nevertheless accepted. But this user to user forum is not the right location for your question. You have to send your feature request to IDM support by email.

Maybe it would be better to install a program specialized on hex editing. I entered at Google hex editor ">4 GB" and the hex editor WinHex seems to be the right tool for your needs.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 26, 2006#3

I didn't realize this was an only user to user forum so next time I will be sure to send a feature request be e-mail to support. I know UltraEdit is not aimed at hex editing and for the most part I use it when I program but I do sometimes use it to view file contents.

Recently I had been adding ZIP64 support to a C library at work and I needed to view the contents of the file I was creating to make sure it was being written to the specifications and thats when I realized UltraEdit handled files > 4GB but the addresses displayed wrapped back to zero which was not a huge deal, it just made it a two step process to go to an address > 4GB. I like the idea of using one editor for all purposes and since I have used UltraEdit for so long thats why I never investigated any other products and just continued to use it as a hex displayer. WinHex does have a huge speed advantage for large files and does display/allow going to addresses > 4 GB so I will use that for viewing large files in the future.

By the way I really am very happy with UltraEdit and have used it since I was studying Computer Science at University a few years ago. It was one of the first things that my company I work for now purchased for me when they learned I wanted to use it. Keep up the good work!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 26, 2006#4

Ah, you don't want to edit the 4 GB file, you only want to view the content. For viewing files quickly I used the great file manager Total Commander which I use as 100% replacement for the Windows Explorer because of it's great features not only for handling files and directories.

It has a built in ZIP packer and can unpack all common archive formats. It has a built in FTP interface so I don't need a special FTP program for uploads and downloads. It can compare files by content and also synchronize directories/drives with several options. It has hundreds of daily used features.

But the most often used feature of Total Commander except the basic file handling functions is the Lister. The built in Lister of Total Commander which is also available as free standalone tool displays the content of a file quickly. It auto-detects the format of the file and displays it either as text or in hex. All text formats are supported by the Lister of Total Commander (OEM, ANSI, Unicode, UTF-8, Unix and DOS, ...). It also supports RTF and HTML format and displays these files as simplified text without the tags except the user wants to see the real content. It also supports some common graphic formats like BMP. And it can display every file because there is no size limit. You can even search in the file and copy a marked part of it to the clipboard. Last you can change the current view of the file at any time. You want to see a text file in hex, no problem with the Lister. You want to see the current file as Unicode (resource strings in executables) or prefer OEM character set, you can change it quickly by simply pressing a hotkey or clicking on the appropriate menu item. The Lister can even be extended with plugins programmed by other users. I use several Lister plugins.

So if you want an universal viewer, look at Total Commander or the standalone free Lister.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria