BG color for entire line

BG color for entire line

NewbieNewbie

Mar 23, 2006#1

I like having my comments with a different background color, but the problem is, it only changes the BG color for where the text is and not the entire line. Is there anyway this can be done outside of adding a bunch of tabs to the line?

Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 23, 2006#2

No! Only the comment is highlighted as specified, not the preceding white-space characters before because they are not part of the comment.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 23, 2006#3

Mofi wrote:No! Only the comment is highlighted as specified, not the preceding white-space characters before because they are not part of the comment.
        I believe facemn was referring to the fact that now in v12 the background color only extends to the right as far as the text on the line, rather than extending all the way to the edge of the window like it used to in v11.

For, example:

Code: Select all

// These are not a very
        // useful
        // comments at all.
        In v12 if you set a background color for comments it will start at the "//" on each line, then stop immediately after the "y" in "very", the "l" in "useful", and the "." (period). The rest of the lines, from the end of the text to the edge of the window, will be the default background color. In v11 the background color would start at the "//" and then extend all the way to the right edge of the window.

I much preferred the way it was in v11. I use background colors a lot, mostly to highlight the various languages that can be in HTML files, and now rather than nice blocks of background color they are all ragged on the right edge since the background color only extends as far as the text on each line.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 24, 2006#4

Ah, I understand. This is really not an improvement. I never use different background colors, so I did not see this difference in highlighting comments. Please write to IDM support and ask why the developers have changed the method of background comment highlighting. Maybe it is just a mistake.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

Mar 24, 2006#5

I was intrigued and checked my 11.20b version and the change was already there...

It could be argued that certainly for line comments, the comment should stop at the end of the line (not the edge of the screen). However, for block comments the argument is not so straight forward.

I think, on the whole, I prefer the current mechanism. But, if it used to work differently before, it should have been conditionalised.

HTH,
            Paolo
            There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
            Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

NewbieNewbie

Mar 27, 2006#6

scallanh - That's exactly right, I wanted the comment BG to extend all the way to the windows right edge, but it's now gone.

If they could at least give us the option in the next update, that'd be really nice.