Video resets when horizontally scrolling a wrapped line

Video resets when horizontally scrolling a wrapped line

Mar 31, 2006#1

Greetings,

I am having an issue where, if I am scrolling horizontally in a text window after highlighting a line of text that is longer than 4096 characters (so that it wraps to the next line in the UltraEdit window) the system will momentarily freeze and display random vertical lines throughout the screen. Then the display will be reset to 640x480 in 16 colors. If I go into Display Properties in Windows and try to change the resolution back, it tells me my video driver doesn't work with this hardware. I have to reboot to restore things to normal.

I only started having this problem after changing my monitor to a flat panel widescreen. I changed my resolution to 1680x1050 and set the screen rotation to 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Video: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.4020 (01/23/2005)

I do not have ClearType enabled.

Any ideas?

Mar 31, 2006#2

I am actually able to restore the display to normal after this issue occurs, if I open and close Display Properties a couple times.

I was able to prevent the issue by setting my Video Hardware Acceleration in Windows to the second notch before None (there are 6 notches from None to All). Of course this is not a proper solution because at this level of acceleration, normal things like web browsing become too slow, and it is not possible to watch videos correctly.

I found this entry in the system event log at the time of the freeze:

------------

Source: ilam
      Category: none
      Event ID: 108

The driver ialmrnt5 for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

----------

So it definitely looks like a driver issue, or at least driver related. Unfortunately I am using a Dell Precision corporate desktop and the latest Intel video drivers for my video chipset will not install ("will not work on this hardware") so I will probably have to go through Dell Support to find a driver update.

In the meantime I wonder if UltraEdit has a setting to prevent this, or if a future update/upgrade works around the driver/display issue.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 01, 2006#3

How long are your lines? You can increase the Maximum columns before line wraps up to 20,000 in the Miscellaneous section of Configuration - Editor Display. If increasing the value does not help, maybe it helps to decrease to a much lower value (256?).

Or you can use the Insert String At Every Increment function from menu File - Special Functions to insert a CRLF after every xxx bytes to avoid working with extremly long lines or you use the wrap function from Configuration - Edit - Word Wrap / Tab Settings for these files. The word wrap settings can be set individually for file extensions.

These are the only suggestions I have to avoid the video driver problem.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria