Clearing dropdown search string list

Clearing dropdown search string list

NewbieNewbie

Oct 19, 2004#1

I'm using 10.20b and I can't seem to find the "uedit32.ini" file that stores the history search list.

How do I clear the dropdown list?

Thanks,
    Patrick

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 20, 2004#2

The find strings are stored in Uedit32.ini at [Find History].

As the read.me file in the UltraEdit directory describes, there are 2 possible default locations for the INI file.

All older versions of UE till V10.10c has installed the INI file in the windows directory, which is still used when upgraded to a newer version. The windows directory is defined by the environment variable windir.

New installs since V10.20 create the INI file in the users application directory (for better multi-user support), which is defined by the environment variable APPDATA.

So open UltraEdit, open menu Advanced, click on DOS Command, enter the command set and press OK. The captured output contains the line with APPDATA and windir. Look for the INI file in this two directories.

For further information about how UltraEdit searches for the INI file, see Help of UltraEdit (Index - INI Settings).

NewbieNewbie

Oct 29, 2004#3

Thanks a lot...that was it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2005#4

All histories in the UltraEdit INI file are stored at these groups:

[Find History]

[Find in File History]

[Replace History]

[Recent File List]

[Recent Projects]

[DOS Execute]

[DOS Dir]

Hope I have not forgotten one.

If you don't want or need the recent file list, set following in the ini:

[Settings]
          Num Recent Files=0

Since v11.20 of UltraEdit a Clear History button is available at Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous. There is also a new option: Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit at the same configuration dialog.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 17, 2009#5

Mofi wrote:Since v11.20 of UltraEdit a Clear History button is available at Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous. There is also a new option: Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit at the same configuration dialog.
            This new option works almost, but there is still the last search on every startup. Is there any way to disable the last search also?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 19, 2009#6

No, currently not. But I agree that an automatic clearing of the histories should also result in

[Find/Replace]
              FindString=""
              ReplaceString=""

Maybe also the following settings should be cleared to:

[Project]
              LastProject=

[Settings]
              Last File=
              Last Project Dir=

But above only when option Reload files previously open on startup is not enabled.

Please send an email to IDM support.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 20, 2009#7

Yes, you're right that there is more than the last search string left in the INI file without clearing.

But anyway, thanks for answer.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 12, 2009#8

Starting with UE v15.10 now also the entries listed above are cleared in the INI file when pressing the button Clear History or using the setting Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 11, 2010#9

Just to add a nugget of information: One thing you can do that works is make the Uedit32.ini read-only, so that UltraEdit cannot write any recent file or recently used find text information to it.

Best to delete the old one first, restart ultraedit, set your preferences in the configuration window, exit, then right-click properties on the new Uedit32.ini file, and tick the read-only checkbox.

The only downside (apart from annoying an UltraEdit telephone support person I expect) is that if you want to make any changes to the configuration of the application subsequently, you will need to take off the read-only flag first, to allow those changes to be saved to it.

C:\Documents and Settings\Neil9327\Application Data\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.INI

NewbieNewbie

Aug 02, 2011#10

Need a way to delete single find entries like Firefox allows by selecting the term and hitting delete.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 25, 2012#11

What about the poor folks using MacOS X? Is there any chance to clear the histories with the same elegance like on Windows  :wink: ?

Somewhere in /Users/{user]/Library/Application Support/UltraEdit/uex.conf I managed to find some entries mentioning Find, but I am not very confident the string after = is exactly what I am looking for.

Any help?