Romanian diacritics missing

Romanian diacritics missing

NewbieNewbie

Apr 14, 2006#1

Hi guys,

I wrote some text in microsoft word, then I put the correct characters in romanian (like ăâîţş), then copy and paste into ue, but only â appears correctly, the other letters appears without diacritics.

What can I do? Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 17, 2006#2

Look at View - Set Font and check the font you use and the Script which is selected for this font. The font you use in UE must support also the Romanian characters.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 06, 2006#3

Latvian characteristics are missing too!

linomics

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 07, 2006#4

Check also the current code page setting at Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale. You need the correct code page for the conversion of these Unicode characters (encoded with 2 bytes) to a single byte ASCII character. MS Word saves these characters always in Unicode.

If not the correct code page is selected, some characters cannot be represented by a single byte. If the conversion still fails, the text file opened in UltraEdit must be an Unicode or UTF-8 file and not an ASCII file. For example from the characters ăâîţş only âî can be stored with a single byte with my default code page (1252 ANSI - Latin I), the other 3 characters need a 2 byte encoding.

Well, I'm writing here something which I can't and won't test because I use always the default code page for central europe and north america.

I only know that the conversion on pasting/copying is done by UltraEdit with standard Windows conversion functions. So if there is something wrong, you have to set the correct code page settings. You can find many articles about code page settings of Windows with an internet search engine. And you should have Win2K or WinXP because I have read that the code page support is limited in previous Windows versions.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 24, 2006#5

Mofi wrote:Check also the current code page setting at Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale. You need the correct code page for the conversion of these Unicode characters (encoded with 2 bytes) to a single byte ASCII character.
            Thanks for the hint. It indeed worked out!

:D

linomics

NewbieNewbie

Display Cyrillic (Russian)?

Feb 17, 2007#6

I changed Advanced/Set Code Page/Locale to Cyrillic (all kinds of it listed in drop-down menu), and yet not getting Cyrillic to display correctly (MS WORD displays the doc correctly after selecting Cyrillic Windows (supposed to be Windows-1251:
              see e.g. ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/fonts_e.htm). However, when I select 1251 ANSI Cyrillic in UltraEdit 10.10c, or any other listed Cyrillic, the fonts display incorrectly, looks like ăâîţş from the example given.

Could someone please suggest a workaround for this problem, so that I can correctly display files written in a mixture of English and Cyrillic (Russian)? :?:

Many thanks :!:
              --alex

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Display Cyrillic (Russian)?

Feb 17, 2007#7

Maybe you have by mistake enabled the OEM character set (old MS-DOS character set). Look into the view menu and turn it off, if it is enabled. And of course you must also specify in the font settings dialogs (also View menu) also the font script to Cyrillic. The font must support Cyrillic!

The locale/code page settings are just for correct conversion from Unicode to ANSI and vice versa on file open or copy and paste and for special functions like locale specific sort.

Please note: There are languages which has characters which are not represented in the 128 characters from 0x80 to 0xFF in an ANSI code page and so a Unicode encoded file format must be used like UTF-8 or UTF-16 as MS Word by default also does. Don't know if Cyrillic is one of those languages.

After you have set your font and script open the ASCII table (menu View) and look on the upper half of the ANSI character set if your characters you miss are there.

Maybe you must restart UltraEdit first after changing the font settings.

NewbieNewbie

Re: Display Cyrillic (Russian)?

Feb 20, 2007#8

"And of course you must also specify in the font settings dialogs (also View menu) also the font script to Cyrillic. The font must support Cyrillic!"

This one did it! View: Set Font: Courier New Regular and : Script:Cyrillic in drop down menu on the same pane.

I was confused that in Scripts in has not shown Cyrillic as a choice, but typing it in found the Cyrillic choice. No restart needed...

Many thanks indeed!
                  My teen daughter sings Die Zauberflöte in SF Teen Opera, maybe one day she'll do it in Wien... :)

cheers-- alex