file extension limit

file extension limit

NewbieNewbie

May 04, 2006#1

Hi,
    Is there a limit on the number of file extensions for each language type?

I added a new file extension (VIEW) for SQL and highlighting was not working for files with a suffix of VIEW. It was the 12th extension. When I moved VIEW to the 'head' of the list it worked, but the last extension, ORIG, (now position 12) ceased working.

Snippet:
    File Extensions = VIEW SQL SP STEP SELECT GEN UTRIG DTRIG ITRIG SCHEMA BIND ORIG

Mark

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 04, 2006#2

I'm sure, there is a not documented limit and it looks like you have already found the maximum which is 11. In standard wordfile the maximum for File Extensions = is also 11 (L3"HTML").

If you need really 12 file extensions for SQL highlighting, copy the whole SQL language definition to a different language number and configure the same color settings for the second SQL highlighting for file extensions 12-21.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 08, 2007#3

Hello,
        it seems that the maximum number of file extension is 19 now.
        Tested in UltraEdit 12.20b+1

Dalibor

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 04, 2007#4

The limit is definitively not constant for all versions of UltraEdit. For v12 and above I can now with the updated info in the syntax highlighting help of UE v13.00 post here, that the limit is specified as follows:

Up to 100 bytes may follow the "File Extensions" declaration (or up to 97 bytes may follow "File Extensions = "). If a list of file extensions exceeding 100 bytes is specified here, they will not all be parsed.

A test with UE v11.20a shows me that the limit for file extensions was in pre UE v12 versions 64.

Up to 128 bytes may follow the "File Names" declaration (or up to 125 bytes may follow "File Names = "). This limit works also for UE v11.20a.

Older versions are not analyzed by me for their file extensions and file names declaration limits.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria