Project based on FTP files

Project based on FTP files

Jun 01, 2006#1

Is it possible to create a project that consists of files on another server which is accessed via FTP?

Steve

Jun 26, 2006#2

That's the only way I use the project settings. I create a project with no files open, then I open the project. Then I go and "Open from FTP" all the files that I'll be working on for that particular day or days as part of that project. Then while, they're open, I go to the project settings and click on the "+ All Open Files" button and now the project has all my FTP files included. With the addition of one more thing, you can have them all get opened up to work on when you open the project...

There is a setting in the Configuration:
      File Handling -> Load -> check the box that says "Reload FTP files when reloading a project or last open files" if you want all your ftp files to be opened up when you open your project.

HTH.

/eric

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2006#3

That's how I use it too, but I really wish I understood why the "link to ftp/sftp folder" feature works... it seems like a really neat idea, but when I set up a project that way, it doesn't actually seem to do anything.
        -- The Digital Sorceress

Sep 21, 2006#4

DigitalSorceress wrote:That's how I use it too, but I really wish I understood why the "link to ftp/sftp folder" feature works... it seems like a really neat idea, but when I set up a project that way, it doesn't actually seem to do anything.
          Where is this located at? And were you trying to say you wished you knew why it DOESN'T work?

/e

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2006#5

yes, I meant to say "doesn't work"

With Troy's help, I have managed to get it to link to my ftp server, but there is something screwy about the remote path. Even though I specify /home/username/target_dir/ as the remote path, the ftp download and sync functions start grabbing everything from the server / directory

I'm sure I'm just not doing SOMETHING right... the reason the link was forcing to a group type folder instead of an ftp link is that I was setting the folder name as "bin" when it needed to be in relative-to-project-dir-windows-path format (".\bin" as soon as I did that, the ftp folders were linking, but then I got the "ftp fetch the entire server starting at /" problem

Sep 21, 2006#6

Well, it turns out it was partly my problem (my mis-naming the project path folder with / instead of \ ) and partly a bug with ftp (the part where it downloads files from the root of the ftp server instead of from the specified remote directory)

Apparently, a hot-fix for that problem is forthcoming.

(I love this program. I've been an UltraEdit user since version 6 and it just keeps getting better. I'm almost through testing UEStudio and I'm 99% sure I'm going to be upgrading to it)
              -- The Digital Sorceress

Sep 21, 2006#7

what are the big differences between the studio and just UE and UC?

yeah, i couldn't live without UE. It's in my top 10 of things that get installed on every computer I have to do work on. :)

Simply brilliant.

/eric

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2006#8

Well, I'm never going to be able to answer the question on differences in as detailed a manner as the UltraEdit site, but here goes...

UEStudio is a superset of UE, so it has everything UE has PLUS:
                  • Integrated Version Control support (CVS and SubVersion)
                  • Full class browser (like the function list in UE, but it works across multiple files in a project)
                  • PHP Integration (A tool that lets you parse your php source for syntax errors using a local install of php - useful for checking for those little gotchyas like missing semicolons and what not)
                  • Tabbed Output Window (so you can have multiple outputs without each new one overwriting the others)
                  Other big features that I don't personally use, but are of interest:
                  • Integrated compile/build/debug support
                  • Solution Manager (sort of a project that contains projects)

Sep 21, 2006#9

Well, I'd say you did rather well! :) Those do look like some nice options. Kind of a polyglot-IDE. I wonder, if you had a local machine on your network, could you use that as your "local install" for the PHP integration? I usually have a linux box somewhere around here with apache/php/mysql on it for just such a purpose, but then i end up developing on it.

I only ask, because there are differences, syntactically, between PHP for windows and PHP for *nix. Not the end of the world if you couldn't, but it would be rather cool if you could.

thnx 4 the nfo.

/eric

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2006#10

snakeyengel,

I just went ahead and installed the windows binaries of php on my local windows box... basically, I'm only going to check for syntax, not functionality locally. In that regard, I don't see the huge difference. Isn't valid php syntax valid regardless of the direction of the slashes or whether you're calling windows-specific functions and whatnot?

The answer though is that I don't think you can have php installed remotely... if you shared your /usr/local/php directory via samba on the linux box and pointed UE to it, I don't think it would run... the local system would not know what to do with the unix version.

I suppose you MIGHT be able to write some kind of batch script that submitted your php request to a remote system and spit the results out to windows' equivelent of stdout and stderr... could be interesting. Maybe I'll try that one of these days. :) If you get it to work, I'd love to hear about it though - it seems to me that maintaining separate versions of PHP is bound to cause trouble. Besides, the integration doestn't just include syntax checking - it is capable of running the scripts as well.

Cheers,
                      DigitalSorceress
                      -- The Digital Sorceress

Sep 21, 2006#11

Sorceress,

lol. that sounds like a challenge but a bit more like too much work! syntax is syntax regardless of OS and for that it would be perfect, indeed. But from what I'm gathering, it does more than just check the syntax, though, right?

This might pose a problem since most of what I do revolves around the PHP, Apache and MySQL trifecta. It would probably require the installation of all three to test anything other than syntax, i'm sure.

The two things I would love to see more than anything else in an IDE would be for

1) xhtml standards compliance checking - just say NO to table-based design - (plus a way to properly highlight embedded style definitions in a PHP script) and
                        2) have a way of seeing a 'generated' page of source code. Example: You have a script with multiple includes or requires and the IDE would give you a way to see the source code as if it had all those files written right into it. I would suppose there would be a limit to what could be included - especially as one might be using object files and would you then include the class definitions for the instance, and the object methods, etc.

That would be very helpful for troubleshooting complex scripts - for me anyway. :) My brain can be quite dodgy sometimes.

/e

NewbieNewbie

Jan 05, 2007#12

DigitalSorceress wrote:With Troy's help, I have managed to get it to link to my ftp server, but there is something screwy about the remote path. Even though I specify /home/username/target_dir/ as the remote path, the ftp download and sync functions start grabbing everything from the server / directory

I'm sure I'm just not doing SOMETHING right... the reason the link was forcing to a group type folder instead of an ftp link is that I was setting the folder name as "bin" when it needed to be in relative-to-project-dir-windows-path format (".\bin" as soon as I did that, the ftp folders were linking, but then I got the "ftp fetch the entire server starting at /" problem
                          The Help documentation doesn't explain how to sync a project via FTP. Perhaps now that you've figured it out, you could share how to do it? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.