ultraedit and ctag newbie (Perl)

ultraedit and ctag newbie (Perl)

Jun 02, 2006#1

Greetings ... I'm kind of slow ... I downloaded the Perl ctag stuff ... how do I use it? and what does it do?

I opened Ctag options and set default tag file to \ctags-5.6\perl.c ... is that correct? the only thing it appeared to do was remove the different colored text and stopped showing my whre the matching { } were

what is the original default tag file? so I can set it back ...

thankyou for your time and assistance

Power UserPower User

Jun 06, 2006#2

BlogTripper wrote:I downloaded the Perl ctag stuff ... how do I use it? and what does it do?
      You have a solution in search of a problem. Do you always download and install software without knowing what it does? 8O

From http://ctags.sourceforge.net/whatis.html:
      Ctags generates an index (or tag) file of language objects found in source files that allows these items to be quickly and easily located by a text editor or other utility.
      Depending on the language, Ctags can generate an index of definitions for functions, variables, structs, etc. UltraEdit can use that index (the tagfile) to navigate from an instance of a object to its definition. e.g. you could be looking at a place in the code that calls function "foo()" and jump to where foo() is defined.

To use Ctags in UE you must first generate the tagfile. You can set up a project to do this automatically when loaded. You can also go to Project->Create CTAG File to do it manually. (e.g. if the files have changed since the project was loaded) After that, just highlight a word and press F11 to jump to it's definition.
      BlogTripper wrote:I opened Ctag options and set default tag file to \ctags-5.6\perl.c ... is that correct? the only thing it appeared to do was remove the different colored text and stopped showing my whre the matching { } were what is the original default tag file?
      The tagfile is where you want the Ctags to save the generated index and where UltraEdit will look when you ask it to "Find Symbol" The tagfile won't exist until you create it, so don't point it to an existing file because you could overwrite it. You can define a per-project tagfile or use a default (shared) one. Check the help file for details.

Jun 06, 2006#3

oh ok ... Thankyou

Much Appreciated

Jun 06, 2006#4

after reading through the link you sent me I've realised I didn't ask the proper question ... what I actaully meant was ...

How do I add perl to Syntax Highlighting?

Thankyou for your patience will dealing with my lack of knowledge and inability to word things properly ... I'm special ed and things don't always come out the way I mean them to

Thanx again for your time, assistance, and understanding.

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 06, 2006#5

Hi BlogTripper

Download the Perl wordfile from page: User-submitted wordfiles for UltraEdit/UEStudio.

And then select and copy all the text in this file and append it to your wordfile.txt file. Normally found in: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\wordfile.txt but this depends on your installation. Go to Advanced->Configuration->Editor Display->Syntax Highlighting and then click on the Open button in the right hand panel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jun 06, 2006#6

Excellent ... thank you very much! This is a big help.