DOS/UNIX/MAC Handling (newline format) via FTP

DOS/UNIX/MAC Handling (newline format) via FTP

NewbieNewbie

Aug 01, 2006#1

I've noticed that the file type changes from its original type (in my case UNIX) to DOS. (I haven't seen a pattern when it changes from UNIX to DOS but it happens when I'm working with it.) Has anyone seen this before? Have anyone a solution to this problem?

Is there a way to set UE to handle all files as UNIX files?

Power UserPower User

Aug 02, 2006#2

Go to the Advanced menu, select Configuration, File Handling, DOS/UNIX/MAC Handling, and you can there set the option to always set your file type for new files as Unix. You can also disable the conversion to DOS for editing.

By default, the option to save the file back as the same type is enabled.

Cheers...

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2006#3

I've these settings set to what you suggest. The file type seems to change while I'm working on it. When I open a source file (via FTP) the type is Unix. I work on it for a while and suddenly the type has changed to DOS.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 03, 2006#4

Have you also read my post at File change while opening an XML file with UltraEdit where I have explained how to best setup UE to handle all file formats?

And if you open your files via FTP make sure you use the binary transfer mode and not the text mode to avoid problems with Unix/DOS conversions. UltraEdit supports a temporary conversion to DOS. So no need to do a conversion on every transfer.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2006#5

Thanks, Mofi! This seems to help (changed FTP transfer type from ASCII to Binary transfer).

Is this a bug?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 03, 2006#6

No, it's not a bug, it was a configuration error by you.

If you really understand how UE works with Unix files according to the detection and conversion settings on file open/save and what's the difference between ASCII and binary transfer, then you would know also how to specify the settings correctly for editing Unix files either always in DOS mode or always in Unix mode. Always DOS mode while editing instead of Unix is simply better because of exchange of content with other programs via clipboard and for UE macros and find/replaces.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria