Setup/installation problem: uesetup.exe hangs

Setup/installation problem: uesetup.exe hangs

NewbieNewbie

Aug 25, 2006#1

I cannot install UltraEdit on my computer. I downloaded the setup file and ran it, but the setup never continues after ghost installer screen shows and I can't open my browser after this screen is shown. I must end the task "uesetup" in task manager to be able to connect to the internet.

What can I do to fix this problem?

THX.

Aug 25, 2006#2

Actually, all you have to do is kill the uesetup.exe in task manager (Processes tab). Then you can get back your network. Do you run IE7? I am wondering if that is the reason UE will not install.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 26, 2006#3

I use IE7RC1 but when I'm installing UE I do not run IE7.

How I can do the installation.

THX

NewbieNewbie

Aug 26, 2006#4

I am running Windows XP Professional & RC1 of Internet Explorer 7 and I am having exactly the same problem described by DEVTAG.

When I run setup the opening screen flashes briefly then .... nothing. Internet access thereafter is disabled. This is extemely annoying.

To resolve this problem you either have to reboot your computer or manually remove uesetup.exe from the windows task list but thereafter the system is still unstable and a reboot is needed to restore full functionality.

Earlier somebody mentioned that maybe it is IE7 causing the problems (or lack of IE6 maybe?) although why the absence of IE6 or presence of IE7 would affect an installation is hard to fathom.

Does anybody have any workarounds or suggestions to resolving this problem?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 27, 2006#5

I don't have IE7 and will never install it on my Windows XP to make it unstable. I use Opera. So I can only guess what's happening.

As I noticed in the past installing a new version of IE is the same as installing a new service pack for Windows. So many DLLs for TCP/IP (winsock, etc.) are updated and also many settings are changed.

I think while running the installation you all have a connection to the internet via LAN or dial-in. Now the ghost installer tries to get information from the internet, but is blocked by the new settings or a DLL is needed which was deleted during upgrade to IE7. The timeouts are normally set very long. 30 seconds with 3 trials is typical (total 90 seconds).

So I suggest to disconnet from the internet before starting uesetup.exe. If you have a connection via LAN, disable the network card temporarily in the device manager - press and hold the Windows key left the space key and press additionally the Pause/Break key to open the system configuration dialog, select the tab Hardware, click on Device Manager, search for your network adapter, click with the right mouse button on it and disable it. Don't forget to enable it after installation.

If the disconnection from the Internet does not help, use Regmon and Filemon from Sysinternals while running uesetup.exe to look why the ghost installer hangs.

Please note: All I have written here is not based on facts. I am testing here my clairvoyant abilities. So don't blame me, if I'm wrong.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2006#6

I just confirmed your intuition is correct... uninstalling IE7 allows the installation to work normally.

As IE 7 is now release candidate 1, this is something the installer authors need to get on top of.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for pointing me in the right direction!

-- Lou in Vermont, USA

NewbieNewbie

Aug 30, 2006#7

Great! Thanks for suggest.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 30, 2006#8

Yep, faced same problem yesterday when trying to install.

Tried many things and uninstalling IE7RC1 worked. (After installing Uedit installed IE7 again - Uedit itself works).

NewbieNewbie

Aug 30, 2006#9

I've got two machines.
                    Both with IE7 - one with Beta 3, the other with RC1.

The RC1 didn't work with a local installer.
                    Beta 3 worked with the local installer.

Site AdminSite Admin

Sep 11, 2006#10

There were certain libraries (DLLs) that the Ghost Installer relied on that were provided by Internet Explorer. With the release of IE7 these libraries were removed/changed and this is why IE7 users see the described behavior. If you download v12.10b (the current release) the new installer shouldn't have any problems even if you have IE7 installed. If you continue to see any problems here please do email us at [email protected] so we can look into any further issues that may arise here.

You may download the latest version of UltraEdit here: https://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/ultraedit-download/

Thanks, Troy

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2006#11

Does this mean that users of older versions are out of luck unless they first uninstall IE7?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 01, 2006#12

Again, I have not installed IE7 nor will I do that. So what I'm suggesting here is only an idea about how the setup problem with older versions could be solved (maybe).

It should be possible to install and uninstall also older versions of the IDM products when the DLL which is used by the ghost installer and uninstaller is in a directory where it can be found via the environment variable PATH.

I don't know what functions the ghost (un)installer really used from which IE6 DLLs.

So I don't know if it is possible to simply copy the needed IE6 DLL(s) into the Windows system directory because there is (are) no existing new IE7 DLL(s) with same name. Maybe it's also possible to copy the IE6 DLLs into the directory of the (un)installer EXE because normally the first searched directory for a DLL is the working directory which is normally also the directory of the EXE.

Please contact IDM support as recommended by Troy from IDM support and ask for an official solution for installing or uninstalling older versions of IDM products on Windows XP SP2/2003/Vista with IE7. All other Windows platforms with IE6 or lower are not effected by this setup problem. Please ask also Troy to post here in this forum the official solution for older versions.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 07, 2006#13

From the Ghost Installer page: (http://www.ethalone.com)
                            ---------------------------------------
                            New version - Ghost Installer 4.5.1

Some of our customers wrote to Support Service complaining that Ghost Installer Studio doesn't start when Internet Explorer 7.0 Release Candidate 1 is installed. We were working on this issue, fixed the problem and decided to release an update. Ghost Installer 4.51 also contains other bugfixes and small new features that were implemented thanks to your feedback.
                            As for the IE7 RC1 bug, it appeared that the bug was in WebDeploy plug-in, all installations that use this plug-in must be rebuilt using Ghost Installer 4.5.1.
                            Please use download links, provided in your registration e-mails to download new version.

Posted by: Admin on September 07, 2006.
                            ---------------------------------------

Anyone know if the installers have been rebuilt and/or if the problem really only affects the web install versions and not the full ftp download versions?

NewbieNewbie

Dec 08, 2006#14

Well that is really agravating. I spend an hour testing, scanning, checking my box and find nothing wrong with it.
                              Finally search the site here only to find that a cheap installer is the root cause.

Well the problem still exists for IE 7 with a FULL RELEASE version. It would be nice if IDM would include this information in their NEWSLETTER or send a support notice to customers to alert them of this potential issue so that we don't waste our time trying to debug the problem on our own.

Sorry, but I never did like that installer, and now just one more reason to dislike it.

Really like UltraEdit, but the installer, the toolbar addition, and now toolbox with Yahoo are items I hope IDM stops going into these areas as I think it cheapens an otherwise excellent product.

I don't want or need YAHOO, GOOGLE, MSN, etc... add-on junk. I want an Editor.

Thanks and sorry to go off on a tangent.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 08, 2006#15

I think, the WebDeploy plugin is in all installers and uninstallers of the IDM products since Ghost installer is used. The difference between the full FTP package and the Web version is, that in the FTP package all files are already included whereas the HTTP version contains only the installer and the files to install are downloaded during installation process according to the options selected in the install dialogs.

Available for download is always only the latest version of a product which is also the understandable strategy of most other software companies.

Registered customers can always contact the IDM support to get again the installation package of the version for which they have purchased one or more licenses by email. If the previous versions are repacked with the new ghost installer versions can be answered only by the IDM support.

Read more posts (14 remaining)