Perl support in UEStudio?

Perl support in UEStudio?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 26, 2006#1

I've been using UltraEdit for over five years, and absolutely love it. I use it for all kinds of things, but 80% is editing Perl code.

I'm evaluating UEStudio '06. I see lots of neat-looking tools for the C++ crowd, but not so much for perl. As I see it, UltraEdit and UEStudio offer about the same level of support for Perl. I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something or need to adjust some configurations?

For example, the Class Viewer has a tree to list functions, variables, etc. But they are all empty, even though my perl script has plenty of both. I don't even see a place to list classes, although that doesn't surprise me since perl's "classes" aren't a native part of the language to start with.

It would also be cool to integrate with the perl debugger. (Although I'll admit I've never used the perl debugger...hey, there's a first for everything!)

I don't see a way to use the built-in compile tools to compile perl code. Granted, "compile" isn't exactly an accurate term when you're talking about perl, but a one-click "perl -c -w" to check your syntax would be pretty nifty. I have this mapped to a Tool Configuration Command in UltraEdit, but I just expected it to be integrated into the whole IDE approach in UEStudio.

I thought I was just being picky about a product that's pretty clearly C++/Win32app oriented, until I saw selections like Pascal, ARM, Fortran77 and Flat (what is Flat?) in some of the config screens. Surely there's more perl programmers than COBOL these days?

There are a few other little things, but I suspect all these inquiries will get the same answer...either, "No, it doesn't do that" or "You bet...just download this special wordfile.txt or set this config option."

I'm hoping I've just missed something simple, as UEStudio looks pretty cool. If not, I'll remain an avid UltraEdit Evangelist, happy with the greatest editor ever!

Thanks,
    -dave

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2006#2

I don't have Perl files for testing it but functions and variables should be detected and listed by IntelliTips. You maybe have to configure it for Perl by specifying the correct regular expressions in the syntax highlighting wordfile for Perl. The standard wordfile.txt contains only:

/Function String = "%[ ^t]++sub[ ^t]+^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+^)[#]"
      /Function String 1 = "%[ ^t]++sub[ ^t]+^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+^)[ ^t{^p]"
      /Function String 2 = "%[ ^t]++sub[ ^t]+^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+^)[ ^t]++(*)[ ^t{^p#]"
      /Function String 3 = "%[ ^t]++^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+^):[ ^t^p]"

What is missing is a regular expression for variables and members as you can see it for "C/C++".

For running or debugging a Perl file you have to setup appropriate user tools because as you have mentioned already Perl files can't be really "compiled".

I think you have to adapt everything to the Perl syntax you use.

Haeleth has written at Perl strings not highlighted in 11.0? - "Only perl can parse Perl".
      And pietzcker has written at highlighting strings where the open and close quote marks... - "Didn't I read somewhere that Perl is the only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption?"

Perl has a syntax which allows nearly everything without a clear structure. So you need to customize the UEStudio settings as much as possible to get most of the UEStudio features for Perl.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria