Multiple instances won't disable

Multiple instances won't disable

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2006#1

Hi,

I have disabled "Allow multiple instances" but every now and then a new instance is nevertheless opened.

It doesn't seem to follow any particular pattern except that whenever I do a "View source" from IE it opens a new instance of UE.

Any help would be appricated.

Oh and I am using UE 12.10a

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Multiple instances won't disable

Aug 28, 2006#2

Maybe you have more than 1 INI file used by UE. (I have 9.) You must disable "Allow multiple instances" in all of your INIs. When next time UE is opened in a second instance, check again the configuration option in both instances and uncheck it also in both instances.

If you want to know if you really have more than 1 INI used by UE, search on your local drives for *.ini which includes the text AllowLowAscii=. If you use for the search the Windows Explorer, don't forget to enable Show hidden files and folders at Tools - Folder Options - View to really search everywhere.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 28, 2006#3

Hi Mofi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

I tried disabling "Allow muliple instances" in all the instances that opened, but to no avail.

Secondly I searched my harddrive as you described but only a single uedit32.ini file came up and it had Multiple Instances=0.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 28, 2006#4

Mysterious. Do you have more than 1 uedit32.exe?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 28, 2006#5

I have another copy of UE on another harddrive but that harddrive has got its own copy of windows that UE was installed in.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 28, 2006#6

The detection of an already running instance works only if the application is started with the same path. That's the reason why I asked for a second uedit32.exe.

I think on your computer there are different paths to uedit32.exe. Look at all shortcuts (*.lnk) which contain uedit32.exe if they all have the same and correct long path to uedit32.exe. Start Regedit and search also for all occurrences of uedit32.exe and check the paths. They should be all identical and should be all correct. Check also the environment variable Path if it contains the path to uedit32.exe and if so, if it is also correct and only once present.

Have you upgraded your current installation from a previous one? The default installation directory has changed in the past and so it's possible that in the registry different paths to uedit32.exe exist, but the EXE is found automatically by Windows via the Path variable or the uedit32.exe key in "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\App Paths" or other caches in the registry.

Search in the whole registry also for ue32ctmn.dll and check the path to it. It must be the same as to uedit32.exe.

My last advice is to use Filemon and Regmon from Sysinternals to detect what's going wrong on your computer.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 28, 2006#7

Mofi my man you just saved my day - again :)

I searched the registry and found several places where the path pointed to my second harddrive.

After changing it UE is back in action, working like a charm.

Once again thanks.

Power UserPower User

May 07, 2009#8

If the second of the two checkboxes below is marked and the first one NOT, you will still get multiple instances. Is this the designed behaviour (as of v15.00.0.1046)?

From Help file:

Allow multiple instances
                  The Multiple Instances item determines if another instance of the editor is opened if the editor is invoked when an instance is already active. If this option is enabled a new instance is opened each time the editor is invoked. If this option is not enabled only a single instance of the editor is opened, and any additional requests result in the first instance becoming active with the new file loaded in addition to any files already open.

Files selected in Explorer will open in a new single instance

If this option is selected, and multiple files are selected at once in Windows Explorer, and UltraEdit is selected from the context menu, all selected files will be opened in a single new instance. If this option is not selected, each file selected may be opened in a separate instance.

Reported,
                  Paolo

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 07, 2009#9

Yes, it is. If the second option is checked, and you select for example 4 files in Explorer, right click to open the context menu and click on context menu item UltraEdit, then a new instance of UltraEdit is opened into which the 4 files are loaded, independent of the state of the first setting for multiple instances. That gives you the possibility to open a set of files together always in a new instance.

If the second option is not enabled and first option is also not enabled, all files will be opened always in the first instance of UltraEdit currently running.

If the second option is not enabled, but first option is enabled, and you open 4 files via the context menu at once, then each file will be opened in its own instance of UltraEdit resulting in 4 additional instances of UltraEdit with 1 opened file per instance.

The second option is ignored when only 1 file is opened via the context menu. For 1 file only the first option is important.

Power UserPower User

May 11, 2009#10

Mofi wrote:The second option is ignored when only 1 file is opened via the context menu. For 1 file only the first option is important.
                      Hi Mofi,

Is this true for subsequent individual files via context?

For me, if I open UE with (one or more) files in the file tabs. Then try to open a another file with a context menu; depending on the second setting being marked or not, I will get a new instance (marked=new, unmarked=same). I've sent my INI file to IDM for their research, but haven't heard back yet.

The bevahiour is entirely repeatable.

Paolo
                      There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
                      Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 11, 2009#11

On my computer (WinXP 32-bit) with UE v15.00.0.1046 the feature works as it should and written above also for subsequent opening single files or multiple files via context menu.

Maybe your shell integration DLL is not up-to-date. If you open the properties of ue32ctmn.dll in UltraEdit program directory you should see on the Version tab the file version 1.0.0.6. I think the 64-bit version has the same file version.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 10, 2009#12

I have eveything as you suggest and the dll is correct also, but something has changed.
                          I used to be able to type in a dos window --> uedit32
                          and I would be back in the instance already open. Now I get multiple instances.
                          Also if I type --> uedit32 x.txt
                          It starts a new instance (always now), never did before. I always have liked one instance. I am running xp sp3.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 11, 2009#13

I can reproduce the behavior you described with UltraEdit v15.00.0.1047. If configuration setting Allow multiple instances is not enabled, but setting Files selected in Explorer will open in a new single instance is enabled, starting UltraEdit from a command line shell results in a new instance of UltraEdit. This is definitely a wrong behavior. If UE is started from command line without any parameter or with only a single file, it should open in the existing instance of UltraEdit when Allow multiple instances is not enabled, independent of the other setting. I suggest to report this issue by email to IDM. As workaround you can disable the setting Files selected in Explorer will open in a new single instance.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 15, 2009#14

Sent information to UE and they tell me they do not have this problem. It is killing me with lots of instances opening up. Maybe with some other folks letting them know this is really a problem. I tried a complete uninstall and removed registry settings. Problem is still here.

Thanks,
                              Steven