Double and Single Quotes

Double and Single Quotes

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2006#1

Hi All

I want to turn off the feature that doesn't allow me to put in a single quote or a double quote until I put in the next character for example if I type " it won't appear until I put in the next character.

I understand why because of characters such as á and é etc but I don't want it on.

How do I turn this off please?

Using Win XP PRO UEStudio'06 full license.

Regards

Duncan

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2006#2

That's not an UEStudio "feature". It's a keyboard feature and I don't even know if it can be turned off. I don't think so. For some languages like German more than 1 keyboard layout can be selected at Control Panel - Keyboard. For German programmers the layout "Deutsch (EDV)" is for example better than the standard German keyboard layout. With EDV layout the Caps Lock is active only for the letters and Caps Lock is not automatically disabled when the Shift key is pressed. It must be disabled by pressing again Caps Lock.

Don't know which keyboard you use and if there is a second layout available for your language.

However, on all keyboards I have ever seen there are always not only the keys for the typographic quotation marks ‘’‚‛“”
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 07, 2008#3

In regards to the "German" keyboard, I may be having a similar issue. In all my Windows apps, typing the lower left-most letter key shows "z" and the letter to the right of "t" is "y", a standard QWERTY keyboard. In UltraEdit, sometimes those two switch. I happen to know that when I change my Windows locale to German, those do swap. In addition, punctuation no longer behaves as is painted on the keytops.

Is there some kind of keyboard translator in UltraEdit that I'm accidentally switching on? While UltraEdit is swapping Z and Y, no other Windows app is, so it's not the generic keyboard driver. Closing and restarting UltraEdit restores proper functionality

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 08, 2008#4

No, UltraEdit does surely never swap Y and Z. But Windows itself has the feature that from the multiple keyboard layouts installed one can be selected and activated for a specific application while all other running applications use a different keyboard layout. This selection/activation can be done also with a Windows hotkey. So if you by mistake press this hotkey while working with UltraEdit, the keyboard layout changes for UltraEdit, but not for other applications.

Best is to uninstall all keyboard layouts you don't need because you work always with the same layout. It is standard that for German Windows also the English keyboard is installed. The uninstallation of the English keyboard is the first thing I always do after setting up a new computer. Just open the keyboard configuration in the control panel of Windows and configure it to your needs. You can see in this dialog also the hotkey for switching the language and there you can disable this hotkey. The language switch hotkey is automatically disabled when only 1 keyboard is installed. And if you never need support for Asian languages, handwriting input devices, etc., it is also a good idea to turn off the advanced text services in the regional and language settings in the control panel.

See also the Microsoft articles

HOW TO: Use the Language Bar in Windows XP
          Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe

Hint: If you see at bottom in the Windows task bar left to the system tray an icon showing "De" or "En", click with right mouse button on it and choose to configure. This is the short way to open the keyboard configuration dialog of Windows.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 24, 2008#5

Thanks, Mofi. It turns out I just today found that Left-Alt + Shift will switch between the keyboard for just the current app. I have an occasional need to use the different keyboards, but until today did not know what keystroke was switching.

UltraEdit is one of the few places where I use multiple shift style keys, so that was the most likely app where I would experience the problem.