showing captured output as program runs?

showing captured output as program runs?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 01, 2006#1

Is there a way for the capture output process to show the output while your program is still running? For instance, if a button click in your program produces an error, this feedback won't appear until you close the application. Is it possible to have it appear immediately?

Thanks,
    John

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 01, 2006#2

Sorry, I don't understand your question. A button click in a DOS or console application? How is this possible? Or is your program a Windows program which writes to stdout and/or stderr?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Oct 01, 2006#3

Sorry, I'll be more specific: Right now I'm writing a GUI application and when I run it in UE, the GUI is what appears (I suppress the DOS console). And let's say I have a button that does something when clicked. I just discovered that if there is an error with the event handling code of the button, clicking the button does not produce this output until the GUI application is closed. I'd like to be able to see this output while the program is still running/open.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 01, 2006#4

Have you specified in the Option tab for your tool that the tool is a Windows Program?

If not, UltraEdit CALLS instead of runs the tool via uedos32.exe to capture the output of the tool from stdout and stderr.

If you specify that the tool is a Windows program, UE will just run it like it is also started when you double click on the EXE in Windows Explorer because UE knows, it cannot capture anything from a Windows GUI application started in a separate task.

Oct 01, 2006#5

I tried doing it with "Windows Program" instead of "DOS Program", but when I run it this way I get an error dialog that says "The system cannot find the path specified" (the title of this dialog box is "Error opening file for write". I'm not sure what it's referring to.

Also, running it as a Windows program does not produce any output on errors, like you said, but I need this.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 02, 2006#6

Post the settings of the tool of all 3 tabs including the command line. Make also sure Advanced - Alternate Capture Method is not enabled.

Oct 02, 2006#7

Here are my settings:

Command
                ------------
                Menu Item Name: Run Script
                Command Line: C:\Python25\python "%f"
                Working Directory: %P

Options
                --------
                Program Type: Dos Program
                Save Active File

Output
                --------
                Command Output: Output to List Box, Capture Output
                Replace selected text with: No Replace

Alternate Capture is not selected (I did try it though)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 02, 2006#8

Aha. It's your second try to get the Python interpreter to work as tool, isn't it. I found following threads about Python:

Using UltraEdit with iPython
                  Setting up UE to run the Python interpreter?

Looks like Python is something very special and so my suggestions are not helpful. Without using Python, I think, I can't help you with this problem. Maybe there is an other forum member which uses Python and has had success to integrate it with UltraEdit. You can also ask IDM support by email. Maybe they have supported other Python users and so know how to configure the Python interpreter.

Oct 02, 2006#9

Well, with all of the above settings, it works fine, *except* for the fact that output is not shown until the program is closed. I'm wondering if that's normal behavior, or if it should be shown immediately when output is produced.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 27, 2007#10

I am wondering about this also. What I would like to do is execute a .bat file and see the output as it works. I have a fairly long running batch file and would like to see the output so I know where it is in the process. Is there any way to do this? Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 27, 2007#11

jrob wrote:What I would like to do is execute a .bat file and see the output as it works. I have a fairly long running batch file and would like to see the output so I know where it is in the process. Is there any way to do this?
                        Sure, just enable in the user tool configuration for your tool on tab "Output" the option "Show DOS Box".