what are ctags for?

what are ctags for?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 02, 2006#1

I was a little confused by the description in the docs. Are ctags some kind of autocomplete function, or is it just for searching for tags in files?

Also, if I want to add another taglist to my current taglist.txt file, do I just copy/paste it at the bottom? Do I need to remove the section that says:

[TagList]
    ActiveGroup=XML - Tags

Or is it okay to have this multiple times in one file? (Currently my taglist file has this with HTML as the active group.)

Thanks.

P.S. If ctags are not for autocompleting, is there a way to have autocompletion for HTML and XML tags in UE?

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 02, 2006#2

http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

The ctag files get "renderd" in the class viewer. And UE should automatically auto complete HTML and XML tags. Otherwise you can always check out the download section for the appropriate tag lists and the readme how to install them.
      A source of incoherent bullshit since 1986

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 02, 2006#3

HTML and XML tags are not autocompleted for me. But if it's supposed to, then how do I turn this on? ctags don't seem to be the same thing. I suppose ctags are for autocompletion of qualified objects, for example, and that sort of thing?

Edit: I downloaded Exuberant Ctags but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. I put the .exe file in my UE directory, then opened python.c and went to Project --> Create CTAG File, but nothing happened. How am I supposed to generate a ctag file and then subsequently use it?

MasterMaster

Oct 02, 2006#4

Hi guys,

the main reason of using ctags is the "jump to" function.
          If you work with an up to date ctag list, you can mark your procedure and then press (F11 I guess is default, see menu "search-Find symbol"). So you jump to the definition of this program unit and so on.
          So you can easily "cross" through your code without having to open this file and then that file and so on. You see ?
          See also help file of UE by searching for "ctags".

Main disadvantage for me: It does NOT work on ftp-unix files/projects :-(

By the way: If you dont want to use Ctags but want to jump to the definition of a procedure in your ONE LOCAL file, this macro may give you a try.
          It does "shift-F2 in Visual Basic 6" and I called it gotoDefinition.
          And, yes, it's not perfect but it fits my needs.
          rem example
          rem bla bla
          procedure test
          rem here we go
          end test
          rem bla moer code here
          call test() <cursor on "test" then run macro. You will land in line 3 "procedure test"
          rem bla

Code: Select all

InsertMode
          ColumnModeOff
          HexOff
          Clipboard 9
          SelectWord 
          Copy 
          Bottom
          Find Up "FUNCTION ^c"
          IfNotFound
          Bottom
          Find Up "PROCEDURE ^c"
          IfNotFound
          Bottom
          Find Up "int ^c"
          IfNotFound
          Bottom
          Find Up "void ^c"
          IfNotFound
          Bottom
          Find Up "sub ^c"
          EndIf
          EndIf
          EndIf
          EndIf
          Clipboard 0

Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 02, 2006#5

Hi Bego!

Find Symbol with Ctags works also without selection. Place the cursor anywhere inside the function, variable, definition, constant, .... and press F11.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Oct 02, 2006#6

Lo Mofi !

I knew, but I don't know why I always mark the word anyway.
              bad habits die hard :-)
              Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit