SSH/Telnet functionality in 12.20 -- can't find it

SSH/Telnet functionality in 12.20 -- can't find it

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2006#1

I can't seem to find the SSH/Telnet functionality in v12.20

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2006#2

You have to go the View menu -> View/Lists (submenu) -> Telnet/SSH console

Site AdminSite Admin

Oct 17, 2006#3

If you still can't see the option for it, it could be that you selected to not update the menu during the installation of the upgrade. You can right-click on the main menu bar and select "Customize Menu..." and then manually ad the SSH/Telnet option back to the "View/Lists" submenu.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2006#4

Indeed!! Found it. Now I'm wavering between feeling stupid for not finding it and feeling irritated because it is in a non-intuitive place (at least to me). Stupid is winning.....

Thanks.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2006#5

I was baffled by this as well. In fact that is why I logged in here today. And yes, "View / Views/Lists" seems to be an extremely unintuitive place to put SSH functionality.

I must admit I am pretty underwhelmed by this feature. It was the main reason I upgraded from 12.00, but it doesn't even come close to being able to replace my current SSH application (Secure NetTerm), as promised in the email. It does not seem to be ready for prime time yet. In fact, mine is currently locked up in "connecting to..." mode and I am unable to abort by clicking the Disconnect button. Also, as far as I can see, it does not even include the most basic SSH features that are standard in other SSH applications, such as SSH Tunneling.

If this was listed as a beta feature, still under development, I wouldn't be so disappointed. But this was listed in the email as the #1 reason to upgrade!

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 18, 2006#6

after searching a while I found it finally as well and even can connect (with public key). But after the welcome message (Last login: Wed Oct 18 08:51:51 2006 from ... user@server:~>) it gets stuck :cry:

NewbieNewbie

Oct 19, 2006#7

I have to agree with the original poster. UE is a great piece of software, but the menu placement for the telnet/ssh client is not intuitive at all. And I've been a UE user for at least 7 years now and use it extensively at work and for personal projects. I also design software and understand that GUI issues such as menu placement aren't trivial problems, and feedback from users regarding these things is always appreciated (at least for me as a software designer). So I hope that my feedback and those of the original poster will be taken into consideration.

Cheers.

P.S. My first instinct was to look for telnet/ssh under the FILE menu, because that's where FTP accounts and the FTP browser menu items are.

P.P.S I even tried using the Help tool, but searching for SSH didn't return any information on where to find it -- only how to configure accounts, but how can you even configure accounts if you can't find the menu item?

Oct 19, 2006#8

Well, I've tried using the ssh client, and there are some issues:

1. vi doesn't work. I just get a message saying "Terminal too wide," and none of the text in the file shows up / I can't edit the file.

2. Copying text from the ssh console doesn't work. Nothing seems to get copied to the clipboard? (And yes, I actually selected, right clicked, and chose "copy," instead of just selecting the text and expecting it to be copied to the clipboard automatically like in putty.)

NewbieNewbie

Oct 19, 2006#9

I think it will probably take 4-5 more versions to get uedit ssh to replace even putty. I cant even "paste" into the ssh session at this point. Lets hope that when it is finished they list it under the "open" pane (like a file) and add in some sort of ssh sync-ing (rsync?) for messing with remote files. Using uedit to replace vi on remote files would be quite useful.

Example of a feature marketting grasped onto without actually asking a single engineer to compare it to an existing program.

Oct 20, 2006#10

The SSH functionality is working quite well for me.

I am a SecureCRT user and completely replaced it with UE and I did not get any big issue so far. Vi is working well and I don't have any problems with the Copy/Paste.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 21, 2006#11

Thanks all for telling me where Telnet/SSH is located. Apparently, I am logged onto the ssh server but all I can see is "connected" and a white screen. I usually sudo su and mc. I am seeing a very stark version of midnight commander in white background. I resized the panel yet a detachable window might help to be able to make it easier to see the mc.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 23, 2006#12

Add me to the list of people who couldn't find Telnet/SSH, and who thinks that the View menu is a bad place for it. Bah, what do I know, I only test and review software for a living.

Power UserPower User

Re: SSH/Telnet functionality in 12.20 -- can't find it

Oct 23, 2006#13

Everyone wrote:Add me to the list of people who couldn't find Telnet/SSH, and who thinks that the View menu is a bad place for it. Bah, what do I know, I only test and review software for a living.
                            You're not a developer - so your voice doesn't count... :wink:

This isn't the only product to suffer from this...

Paolo
                            There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
                            Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!