UE 12.20 messed up my keyboard shortcuts

UE 12.20 messed up my keyboard shortcuts

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 20, 2006#1

When I view the keyboard shortcut mapping in UE I can see many of my custom shortcuts now have two commands assigned to the same shortcut. I can go through manually and figure out which keys have duplicates, but I'd rather not do this.

How can I easily get my old keyboard shortcut settings back?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2006#2

I noticed another problem with keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+Shift+O doesn't work. Instead of executing FileRevertToSaved it inserts a funky character.

Code: Select all

ö
      Is anyone else seeing this?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 21, 2006#3

Same here. I did a dump via 'show key mapping in editor' and noticed my keys had duplicate mappings with the default keys. It looks like a merge occurred.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 22, 2006#4

The funky character is a German umlaut. There are built-in hotkeys to insert the 7 special German characters. These hotkeys are very old. They were already present in the first (English) version of UltraEdit I used years ago.

UltraEdit/UEStudio specials for German characters

Code: Select all

Ctrl+Shift+A   German 'ä' character                  ID_KEYA
                         German 'Ä' character if CAPS LOCK on
          Ctrl+Shift+O   German 'ö' character                  ID_KEYO
                         German 'Ö' character if CAPS LOCK on
          Ctrl+Shift+S   German 'ß' character                  ID_KEYS
          Ctrl+Shift+U   German 'ü' character                  ID_KEYU
                         German 'Ü' character if CAPS LOCK on
          I have emailed the IDM developers during beta testing UEStudio 6.00 that they should better add the German special hotkeys for German writers also to the commands list to avoid duplicate assignments when converting the key mapping configuration file. But unfortunately IDM did not do it because they are only for the German writers.

You can simply fix the duplicate assignments of the 4 hotkeys by simply removing for example your Ctrl+Shift+O assignment and reassign it to the command you want to execute with this hotkey. These duplicate assignments should not happen anymore on future updates. It only happens when converting an existing uedit32.kbd with Ctrl+Shift+[AOSU] to uedit32.uek.

And previous versions always created duplicate assignments when new default keys are added to a version and the user has had this key aleady assigned to a function. Because I have assigned really many personal keys, I was always affected by these duplicate assignments and the only chance to find the duplicates in the past was to check every command in the keyboard configuration list and even this was not enough because in UltraEdit "ghost key assignments" to functions in UEStudio were created. Those were really hard to fix.

Well, the existing but maybe till now not detected duplicates are also converted from kbd to uek. Now they can be easily removed (except the 4 german specials). Just create the key mapping shortcut list sorted by keys and check for keys with more than 1 command assigned. Such duplicate assignments should no happen anymore in future. I have had a long email discussion with the developers about this problem in the last months (yes, months).
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 23, 2006#5

I couldn't figure out how to delete the mapping for the ID_ special keys directly, but for the ones that were interfering with my keys I got rid of them by reassigning my keys. When I did this UE detected something else was using the same keyboard shortcut and asked if I wanted to remove it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 13, 2007#6

I think, with UltraEdit v13.10+1 and UEStudio v6.30+1 really all commands are now available for key assignment. The new commands in the key mapping configuration dialog for (nearly) always existing internal commands are:

AdvancedBackRestoreUserCustomizations
              DeleteNextWord
              DeletePrevWord
              EnableHelpPointer
              InserChar-ä
              InserChar-ö
              InserChar-ü
              InserChar-ß
              RunHTMLTidy
              ScrollDownLine
              ScrollUpLine

In the unsorted list (option Sort not checked) all these new commands except first one are at the end of the list.

For completeness here are the other new commands because of new features in UE v13.10 and UES v6.30:

AdvancedOpenNewInstance
              EditPasteAsHTML
              EditPasteAsRTF
              ModifyScripts
              RunActiveScript
              ViewRefreshBrowserView
              ViewShow/HideScriptList
              ViewShowLineEndings
              ViewToggleBrowserView
              ViewToggleColumnMarker3
              ViewToggleColumnMarker4
              ViewToggleColumnMarker5