Telnet command to open a file directly in the UE editor?

Telnet command to open a file directly in the UE editor?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 25, 2006#1

Is there a Telnet command to open a file directly in the UE editor?

Since the Telnet splits the window, it would be nice to type something in the line of:

$ <command> file
    --Todd

Nov 01, 2006#2

I have both telnet and FTP access to my server, so normally I'll issue a Telnet command to update a file that I've got open 'In Place' thru the FTP file manager in the edit window, then use the 'Revert To Saved' command to download the changed file to the edit window. All in all it takes just a couple of seconds to refresh data files that way.

If you have both Telnet and FTP access, that might be a workable solution.

Rich Harrington
      Prairie State College

NewbieNewbie

Oct 19, 2007#3

Rich Harrington wrote:

"If you have both Telnet and FTP access, that might be a workable solution."

But I don't. Any suggestions, anyone?

MasterMaster

Oct 19, 2007#4

leegee wrote:But I don't. Any suggestions, anyone?
          If you haven't got FTP access, I would think your server supports SFTP (SSH file transfer) - create a SFTP account and use as you would normally use a FTP account - see also thread In-place editing via SSH...

If SFTP is available to you, you will still be able to use Rich Harringtons suggested method with "revert to saved".

To my knowledge there are no telnet commands that can open directly a file for editing in an external program like UE.