vista right click

vista right click

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2006#1

Hi. I'm running 12.20a on Vista and I don't have the right-click open with Ultraedit functionality. Does anyone know how to make that work on Vista?

Thanks,
    Mike

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 30, 2006#2

Have you integrated UltraEdit to the Explorer shell at Advanced - Configuration - File Associations?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2006#3

Yes, I checked that. I also specified to do so during the install.

NewbieNewbie

A workaround to the context menu issue

Dec 09, 2006#4

I'm using UltraEdit v12 in Vista and the context menu "Edit with UltraEdit" is missing, which I've seen also occurred to others. This is what you can do to get around the problem:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\UltraEdit]
          @="Edit with UltraEdit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\UltraEdit\command]
          @="\"
          C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\uedit32\" %1"

This is by no means a fix since it's step backwards, but it will do the trick until a solution is found.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 15, 2006#5

Thank you for the temp fix. I did report the problem to IDM, so by the time vista goes public it will most likely be resolved. I told myself I wouldn't run vista until at least SP1, but when I got a hold of the non-beta I couldn't resist. I actually am really enjoying it. It's been a little rough, but none of the problems I've run into so far have been show stoppers.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 06, 2007#6

I don't mean to sound like a complete noob but...

Can somebody please explain how to enter the entries into the Registry.

I have found the "UltraEdit" key but what exactly am I adding here. Is there something missing from the instructions?

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 06, 2007#7

Okay, here is the same for guys who don't know how to work with Regedit. Open a new file in UltraEdit and copy following lines to it:

REGEDIT4

@="Edit with UltraEdit"

@="\"
                C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe\" %1"

Modify the red highlighted part to your environment. Instead of a single backslash you must type in this string always 2 backslashes (like in C/C++ and many other programming languages).

Save the file with the extension reg, for example UE_To_Context_Menu_For_Vista.reg

Now double click in Explorer on this file and Regedit will ask you if you really want to import this file into the registry. Click twice OK.

@= is in the exported registry file what is shown in Regedit at top in the right panel as (Default). The default value always exists for a key and is by default always a string value. If you want to enter the string with Regedit directly by double clicking on the default value, you must know that in this dialog the string must be entered without the escape character \ which means only a single backslash and only " instead of \".
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 07, 2007#8

Once I imported the data into the registry it was obvious what I needed to have done.

Basicly the "UltraEdit" and "command" are new keys with the Default value set to what was in @=""

I was trying to add command as a string with the value of what was in @=""

No wonder it wasn't working!

Thanks for that! Much appreciated!

NewbieNewbie

Mar 07, 2007#9

I'm running retail Vista Business x64 for a week and my UltraEdit (12.20a) right-click option is working well. It shows up in the context menu as simply "UltraEdit."

Mar 25, 2007#10

I've noticed that disabling User Account Control has made my right-click UltraEdit option go away. I know how to fix this but thought I should note it here.

Vista x64 Business
                      UE 12.20a

NewbieNewbie

Aug 22, 2007#11

I have UAC disabled in Vista x64 and I dont get the context menu to work.
                        I get an error when trying to register "ue64ctmm.dll", so my guess is that ue64ctmm.dll has some UAC handling bugs that kicks in if UAC is disabled that prevents the dll from work or even register at all.

If this is the case, my guess is that IDM isnt using the "TOKEN_ELEVATION_TYPE" as they should to check if the splitted token is missing due to UAC being off or becuase the user really is a simple standard user.

I beleive that they are ONLY checking "TOKEN_ELEVATION" at this moment when they detect Windows Vista is the host OS.

Aug 15, 2008#12

I got this REG file to work by modifying the path where UltraEdit is installed:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

@="Edit with UltraEdit"

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe\" %1" 

By default, UltraEdit gets installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraEdit
                          David.