Transfer/Backup Tool Configurations.

Transfer/Backup Tool Configurations.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2006#1

Hello,

Is there a way to transfer or backup the configuration settings you have for 'Tool Configuration...'?
    Example: You have UE on workstation with several tools configured for it. The workstation crashes and has to be reloaded. Is there a way to restore these settings? Right now, that I know of, is to do it manually. Which is a very time consuming task.

Is there a place where this is stored? Registry, ini file, etc?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 21, 2006#2

The complete user tool configuration is stored in the uedit32.ini in the section [Tools]. Copy the whole section and all user tools will be available again after next start of UltraEdit.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2006#3

Thanks for the reply.

That should work!

Jan 24, 2007#4

That seems to work if you have version 11, but my version 12.10 install doesn't have the uedit32.ini file. Can't find it anywhere.

Power UserPower User

Jan 25, 2007#5

You must have UE configured to save settings in the registry. You can change that under Advanced->Configuration->Application Layout->Advanced, but I don't know whether it will transfer the settings into the INI file. I'd expect it to, but the comment by the checkbutton explicitly says that settings are not transfered into the registry when selecting the option, so I wouldn't count on them transferring in the other direction either.

Of course, you could always back up the registry keys instead. (I use the *.ini file so I don't know what they are.)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 25, 2007#6

barracuda wrote:That seems to work if you have version 11, but my version 12.10 install doesn't have the uedit32.ini file. Can't find it anywhere.
              I'm sure, you have an uedit32.ini. It is just in a hidden directory (Microsoft standard) - see UltraEdit INI file location.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 29, 2007#7

Thanks for the replys, I think this is finally figured out. What lead me to make the last post was that I couldn't find the uedit32.ini file in the %system32% folder, so I used Windows Desktop Search. It didn't find it either, so I thought may the newer version didn't have the ini file.

But because of mjcarman's post I looked in the configuration area he mentioned. At the bottom of the "Configuration" dialog box, you will find a group area labeled, get ready for this, "INI File Location". The file is located in "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini. And yes, it was there. I guess Windows Desktop Search doesn't search in hidden (i.e., Application Data) folders.

I've tried switching to the registry option, but that seems to make you lost your settings if you are using the ini file.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped!