Highlighting strings

Highlighting strings

NewbieNewbie

Nov 25, 2004#1

I'm trying to create a wordfile and am running into a small problem...

I'd like "normal" strings like

"The cat sat on the mat"

to be one color but strings that contain a predefined method name in the language to be a different color e.g.

"LookupMessage"

At the moment if I place the built-in methods into the word list they either are ignored as part of the string (if Noquote is set) or all the strings are parsed for all words (which is always a problem seeing as if, try, and etc. are fairly common in the English language :wink: ) has anyone managed to make this work?
    There are three criteria for a project. It can be good, it can be cheap, it can be done quickly. Pick any two.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 28, 2004#2

The same problem appears in HTML. There are attributes, which have predefined values like valign="top", and attributes with any text like alt="UltraEdit Logo".

It is not possible to highlight any text strings with string color and predefined strings with an other color, if both have the same string definition character. I have tried a lot with Noquote and Marker Characters, but found no good solution for predefined attribute values within double quotes.

For my personal use, I now write predefined values in HTML within single quotes like valign='top' and any other strings in double quotes. This is valid for HTML. With this trick, the predefined attributes of my HTML-files are highlighted as I want. Maybe your language also allows a second string definition character.

If not, I suspect there is no solution for your highlighting problem.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria