Column Grid

Column Grid

NewbieNewbie

Jan 09, 2007#1

For my work I edit a lot of files that have 10x 8 character columns. I don't think that UltraEdit has a feature like this, but perhaps I am not looking in the right location.

What I would like, is to have UltraEdit make a distinction between all 10 columns. Either using a grid or perhaps a 2-toned background alternating between each column.

The closest thing I've found in UltraEdit are the "Column Markers", but there are only 2 of those. :(

At the moment I'm adding comment lines in my files which show me where I am, but since the files are regularly >5MB, a lot of these comment lines show in my text.

Example:

Code: Select all

$..01..><..02..><..03..><..04..><..05..><..06..><..07..><..08..><..09..><..10..>
    GRID     200000          500.    5.      50.    

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 09, 2007#2

Do you use a horizontal tab or spaces to fill the place between the values?

At Configuration - Word Wrap/Tab Settings you can specify individually based on the current extension of a file tab stop values. Since UltraEdit v10.20 multiple tab positions (up to 12) can be specified - mainly useful for programers writing in assembler, but maybe also for you.

A real grid cannot be displayed.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 09, 2007#3

I am indeed using spaces between the values in the separate columns.

I apparently already set the tab value to 8 myself and the checkbox to use spaces instead of tabs), but haven't been using it so far.

Although this tab-feature might be useful (I'll start using it right away, especially now you pointed out to me that this can be different for each file-extension), it isn't as useful as a display grid would be for me. Usually a program writes (most of) the code for me and I spend my time modifying (and checking) it. Being able to, in a glance, quickly check whether the text is in the right columns would be more useful than tab-stops. (And I noticed that SHIFT+TAB doesn't go back one tab-stop.)

But I guess I'll have to send in a feature request for this; too bad there are only 2 column markers available in UE.

But thanks for your response!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 10, 2007#4

Does your file contain normally the character '|'?

If no, then you could use a macro to insert in column mode the '|' in the columns you need it and remove it later with a simple search and replace all.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 10, 2007#5

Unfortunately, I'm using pipes for my header section.

But even if I wouldn't be using pipes, I can't use this either, since I'm using up all 8 places in a column. The pipes would interfere.

(FYI: the files are NASTRAN related, a Finite Element-calculation program.)

Dec 05, 2007#6

CoRrRan wrote:The closest thing I've found in UltraEdit are the "Column Markers", but there are only 2 of those. :(
              I'm using version 13.20 and it now allows up to 12 column markers.