How do I exclude certain directories from ctag list

How do I exclude certain directories from ctag list

NewbieNewbie

Jan 24, 2007#1

Hi,

I have slightly weird directory structure in my project so I need to exclude
    certain directories from the list that passed to ctag, I added --exclude switch to the ctag command line option but it does not help. The weird thing directory that I want to exclude is not showing up in my project file listing.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 24, 2007#2

Does your project use the folder method or the group method? See Create project from an existing directory tree?

I guess, you use the folder method and the directory you don't want is a subdirectory. You can run Find In Files with options Project Files and Results to Edit Window selected with an empty search string to get a list of all project files as %fi in the Ctags option also produce.

If the files in the directory you don't want are shown in this list, you have to adapt your project settings accordingly to exclude it.

Alternatively you can remove from the Ctags options in the project settings dialog the -L %fi parameter (see in help of UltraEdit the page Ctags support) and specify your own include and exclude filters. I think (but never tested), if a file with a list of files is used, Ctags does not apply the exclude parameter on this list. It's also possible that you have not specified the exclude parameter correct.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 24, 2007#3

Does your project use the folder method or the group method? See Create project from an existing directory tree?
        Yes I use folder method, and the folder I want ctag to skip does not show up in the project listing.
        I guess, you use the folder method and the directory you don't want is a subdirectory. You can run Find In Files with options Project Files and Results to Edit Window selected with an empty search string to get a list of all project files as %fi in the Ctags option also produce.
        I use variation of this method. I created .bat file which runs find on my folder structure and creates a list file and then runs ctag with that file as -L parameter. The reason I posted I was hopping I'm missing some option that will resolve the problem and I can just select "Update CTAG" from the menu and it would work :)
        Alternatively you can remove from the Ctags options in the project settings dialog the -L %fi parameter (see in help of UltraEdit the page Ctags support) and specify your own include and exclude filters. I think (but never tested), if a file with a list of files is used, Ctags does not apply the exclude parameter on this list. It's also possible that you have not specified the exclude parameter correct.
        Aha! :idea: I did not think about this one, I will try and let you know, I think you right, --exclude does not play a role if you use %fi parameter. UltraEdit needs to create an input file first before invoking ctags, and thats where it blows up on my directory structure. I will try it and let you know if it worked.