dynamic backup directory

dynamic backup directory

Dec 08, 2004#1

Is there any way to set up the Default Backup Directory so that the backups are always saved to a subdirectory of their parent's working directory?

Ex -
    working directory = "C:\WorkingDir"
    Backup Directory = "C:\WorkingDir\Backups"

thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 09, 2004#2

Yes, it is possible. Open Advanced - Configuration - Backup and set the default backup directory to .\Backup\ (only 1 point).

But I personally think, that this setting is very dangerous, because the backup directory always must exist or no backup file is generated and you don't really know, what is the current working directory.

I prefer to append .bak to the existing extension and save all backups in the same directory on a different drive. This is also a good practise, if I delete the whole directory by mistake. The backups are not saved in the same directory or subdirectory of the by mistake deleted files and so the files could be restored (more or less).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Dec 09, 2004#3

1 period, not 2, ahhhh. I agree, it can potentially be really problematic. But in my situation, I only use a handful of directories, so keeping a separate backup dir for each is very simple and ideal. Good stuff, thanks.