File menu opens slowly and with long paths

File menu opens slowly and with long paths

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 22, 2007#1

Is there a way to configure the interface to *not* show paths in the Recent files area of the File menu? The menu opens very slowly, and it's far too wide. I'm using v 13.00+3. Thanks!

Mary

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 13, 2007#2

No, there is no such option. The name of the recent files are displayed dynamically with file name only, if the file is in the current working directory of UltraEdit, or with a shortened path where only the drive letter and the first directory is displayed with \..\ and last the name of the file.

Opens all menus slowly or only the File menu?

On my computers all menus of UltraEdit always open immediately.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

May 14, 2007#3

Thanks for the reply, Mofi. The File menu opens slowly initially; after that, it opens slower than the rest of the menus. Also, I have the complete paths being shown, not with the drive letter and truncated directories. I've tried to upload a png, but I'm getting an error, saying it could not upload the attachment.

Thanks for all the help!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 18, 2007#4

I looked again into this issue and you are correct. UltraEdit v13.00a+2 shows the files in the recent file list always with full path in comparison with UltraEdit v12.20b+1 which shows the same file in the recent file list with truncated directory.

It looks like IDM has changed this. I don't know, if this was done on purpose or by mistake.

Please contact IDM support per email and ask for clarification and an option to see the recent files either always with full path and name, or only with their file names, or dynamically as in previous version of UltraEdit.

I still can't see any difference in menu opening time delay.

Basic UserBasic User

May 19, 2007#5

Thanks so much for the verification, Mofi. I thought it was different that previous versions. I'll contact IDM...perhaps adding an option for selecting the desired display is in order. I'm not worried too much about the menu open time...I honestly think it is caused by the longer file names.

NewbieNewbie

Width of File Menu (because of Recent File list)

Sep 11, 2007#6

I'm using UltraEdit-32 13.10a+1, and while I know earlier UltraEdit versions displayed a truncated filepath for each entry in the Recent File list, this seems to be changed for UE 13.10a. My issue is the same as the above post - the File menu becomes ridiculously long for files with long paths that are displayed in the Recent File list. Is there a configuration option to change this, or some other solution?

On a side note, I'm a long-time TextPad user who was finally convinced to try out UE by a friend... congrats on a great program with a myriad of customization options - I'm sorely tempted to change editors.

Thanks,
              goatmonk

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Width of File Menu (because of Recent File list)

Sep 11, 2007#7

Still no setting and still not automatically truncated paths as in previous versions. Unfortunately maryv has not posted the answer from IDM support. So you better contact IDM support per email too and ask why this has been changed and for an option in a future release.

In the mean time you can uncheck Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous - Recent files list on file menu. Then instead of listing all the recent files at bottom of the File menu, the File menu has an additional submenu named "Recent Files" at bottom of the menu which shows you the recent files when mouse is moved over it. That submenu has the advantage that the File menu itself has a normal width.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 11, 2007#8

Sorry about not posting it. Though I had. (Must be a very senior moment. <g>) The reply I received (paraphrased) is that it works as designed and *maybe* will be changed in the future. Perhaps if other folks request the "feature" as well, it might be bumped up the list.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 11, 2007#9

Thanks very much for the replies. I will take your advice, Mofi as it seems to be the only solution for the File menu, at least, and I will send an email to IDM.

Also, there seems to be no way to change the way windows are listed in the Windows menu, as the same issue makes the Window menu very wide as well.

-goatmonk

Basic UserBasic User

Recent Files Without Full Path?

Dec 14, 2007#10

Is there a way to have the "recent files" just show the file name and not the entire path?

Some (of my) paths are rather long and make menu maneuvering a bit akward.

Regards,
                      Chuck Billow

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 19, 2007#11

Please send a request to IDM, Chuck. Maybe if enough of us request it, the change will be made. I totally agree with you: it's terribly annoying.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 19, 2007#12

Mary:

I'm on it.

Chhuck