Copying just the difference from two files - encoding issue (solved)

Copying just the difference from two files - encoding issue (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Apr 27, 2007#1

Hi!

I have two files and want to find the difference between them but only in first one (lines with one word which shows up only in first but not in second file in text mode) and then copy that difference and paste it in some text editor.

Now my problem is that when I paste that text which I select after view/just difference - I do not get correct page coding or whatsoever since some characters are not correctly displayed even if they are correctly displayed in UltraCompare BEFORE I select them. They are also correctly displayed in Notepad before pasting from clipboard.

It looks like that maybe clipboard screw up the data.
    Copy frame to clipboard also give me not correct data.
    Save report is not good for me since it copy all differences in both files.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 29, 2007#2

Which encoding (UTF-16, UTF-8, ASCII/ANSI, ...) have the 2 files you compare with UltraCompare and which code page do you use in UC?
      And which encoding and code page do you use in the new file in the text editor before you paste it?

OEM character enabled in UE/UES could be also a problem or simply a different font or font script is used in the editor.

Finally UC could have really a bug which you should report to IDM support by email with your 2 files, a detailed description to reproduce the bug and maybe some screen shots in PNG format. (JPG is not a good format for screen shots.) And don't forget the exact version of UltraCompare (Lite or Professional).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2007#3

Hi Mofi!

I use default ANSI encoding for files and only setting I found in UC is to set font and I choose Central European. Font is Courier New.
        New file also have Central European and 1250 and I never have any problem except when data are copied to clipboard and pasted in for ex. notepad - font is also Courier New.

If I choose "Save result" then I got correct letters - but this is not good for me since I need only difference.
        I found a way to filter that file and pull out what I need - but it should be much easier with "Copy frame to clipboard".

I have UC Professional trial.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 02, 2007#4

I looked today into this issue and detected, that UltraCompare always copies the content of the frame in UTF-8 format into the clipboard.

If you have UltraEdit you can open a new blank ASCII file, paste it and use File - Conversions - UTF-8 to ASCII (although it is an ASCII file) and save the now correct displayed characters as ASCII/ANSI file.

If you don't have UltraEdit, only Notepad, you have to open also a new blank ASCII file and paste the clipboard content from UltraCompare into the file, additionally insert at top of the file the 3 characters . This is the BOM for UTF-8 files. Then save the file with Encoding ANSI, yes really. Close the file and open it again with Notepad. You will now see the ANSI characters correct. Save the file again and make sure that again the Encoding is set to ANSI. Notepad will convert now the file from UTF-8 to ANSI and you hopefully have what you want.

NewbieNewbie

May 06, 2007#5

Thanks Mofi, but it doesn't work for me.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 06, 2007#6

You have 2 possibilities:

You pack the two files with ZIP, upload it somewhere (not to this forum, that is not possible) and post a link to the zip file. Then I can download it and look into your problem.

Or you send an email to IDM support with your 2 files and a detailed description what are you doing, what you want as a result and what you really get.

Edited on 2007-05-19: In UltraCompare v5.00 the active frame is not copied anymore in UTF-8 encoding and so can be easily pasted into every file.