Automatically change Explorer pane directory?

Automatically change Explorer pane directory?

NewbieNewbie

May 14, 2007#1

When I right click open a file in UEStudio from Windows explorer it opens the file just fine, but the explorer pane always shows some random directory that I was working on a few days ago, that has nothing to do with the file itself.

How can I make the explorer window automatically navigate to the directory that the file I'm opening is in?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 14, 2007#2

Not possible. The File Tree View does never change automatically the path. And of course, that would be very tricky because you can open multiple files at once and the files can be even on different drives.

However, you can write a feature request email to IDM support and ask for an option that for example the path in explorer pane of the File Tree View is set after start of UltraEdit to the path of the last openend file, if at least 1 file is open after start of UE.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 15, 2007#3

Thanks for the feedback. As per your suggestion I sent a feature request to the IDM team via email.

There seems to be a command line option to run a script. I have no idea how much control the scripting language gives me, but when I have some time I'll see if I can write a javascript that gets run on startup to change the File Tree View directory based on the open file.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 15, 2007#4

There is no script command which can change something anywhere else than in the document windows. So the path in the File Tree View cannot be changed with a script, except you modify the entry in uedit32.ini before you start UltraEdit, for example with a visual basic script or with a batch file and a tool which can find and replace a text in a text file.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

May 17, 2007#5

Mofi wrote:Not possible. The File Tree View does never change automatically the path. And of course, that would be very tricky because you can open multiple files at once and the files can be even on different drives.
            Only one file can be edited at a time. Only one file can be in focus. Only one file (can be set to show) its full path shows up in the title bar.

How can this be "very tricky"?