UltraCompare Professional v5.00 Released!

Site AdminSite Admin

May 19, 2007#1

We appreciate your interest and support of UltraCompare Professional.

Just a short update to let you know that UltraCompare Professional v5.00 is
    now available.

We would sincerely like to thank all our Beta testers whose feedback has
    helped us to enhance the new features in this release.

The changes in this release include:

New features in UltraCompare Professional v5.00 :
    =================================================
    Text Compare Enhancements
    - Efficiency (performance) enhancements
    - Column Data/Range Comparison
    - Option to allow column range(s) to be compared
    - Option to allow column range(s) to be ignored
    - Goto line/column number - Go to the line/column number of the active frame
    - Quick difference check enhancements
    - Output/Print enhancements
    - Color printing
    - Font selection
    - Align column information
    - Format Headers/Footers
    - Display line number and column number in status bar

Folder Compare Enhancements
    - Efficiency (Performance) Enhancements
    - Allow comparison of FTP folder to local folder
    - Ignore user specified folders and file types
    - Compressed Java JAR support
    - More...

The final release version may be downloaded from the:

UltraCompare Professional download page

Thanks again for your continued support and interest in our products.

Ian and Team

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 25, 2007#2

Users upgrading from a previous version please note that the default menu, toolbars and key mapping are not automatically updated at first run after installing new version and there is no message to do that. So you will not have access to the new features.

Delete following 3 files while no UltraCompare instance is running to update the default menu, toolbars and key mapping:

%appdata%\IDMComp\UltraCompare\UCCmds32.cmf
      %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraCompare\UCMNCmds32.mcf
      %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraCompare\ucomp32.kbd

UCCmds32.cmf contains the toolbar commands.
      UCMNCmds32.mcf contains the menu commands and names.
      ucomp32.kbd which contains the key mapping configuration.

%appdata% is a user, language and Windows installation specific environment variable and contains something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data

Note: The %appdata% directory has by default the hidden attribute set. So if you have not enabled to see also hidden files and directories in your file manager (Windows Explorer), you don't see this directory.

Then start UltraCompare and the default menu, toolbar and keyboard configuration files for your version are created.

The following method to reset the default profile files is the "official" method, but is not working with UltraCompare v5.00+2:
      1. Click in menu Options on Configuration.
      2. Go to Toolbars / Menus - Management and click on button Manage Toolbars.
      3. Select Default and press button Reset.
      4. Close the dialog and do the same with Manage Menus.
      5. Go to Key Mapping and press the button Defaults.
      Attention: Don't do the steps above when you have customized the Default menu, toolbar or key mapping. Instead you should customize it again and add the new features you want. Better would be to save the customized menu or toolbars with a different name to be able to reset the Default menu and toolbars and easily switch between the Default and your customized menu/toolbars after an upgrade to see the new features you maybe also want to add to your customized menu/toolbars.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Jun 10, 2007#3

Hi Mofi,

I did that and still didn't have the new menus etc. - only after deleting the cmf/mcf/kbd files in the profile directory and restarting UC I did get them. Same thing with UltraEdit, by the way - Resetting menus etc. seems to be a no-op. Fortunately, I haven't customized much yet, but this worries me a bit - do you have any idea what might be the problem here? I'm using the German version of UC 5.00+2/UE 13.00a+2...

Best regards,
        Tim

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 10, 2007#4

Hi Tim,

you are right. This "official" method sent as email answer to me from IDM support to update the menu and toolbars for UltraCompare v5.00 Beta 1 is really not working. I have tested it now with UC v5.00+2 and none of the reset buttons really works (on Win98 SE). This is definitely a bug of UltraCompare and I will report it to IDM support. Better you report it too.

After I installed UC 5.00 Beta 1 and run it the first time I did not get any menu or toolbar update message as it exists when updating UltraEdit or UEStudio and the default menu or toolbar profiles has changed. In UE/UES the default profiles are managed with a version number in the INI at section [Version]. So I have written an email to IDM support that for UltraCompare such a version controlled update mechnism should be also implemented and IDM promised me to do this in the next major release of UltraCompare Professional. In the meantime I should use the reset buttons. Of course I have never pressed the buttons, because the default configuration files were already up-to-date after my manual deletion.

In UltraEdit v13.00a+2 the same reset buttons worked for reseting the Advanced and Basic menu and toolbar profiles and the key mapping configuration. I use the English version.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria