(Version) backup of FTP files in UE13 - how?

(Version) backup of FTP files in UE13 - how?

NewbieNewbie

Jun 04, 2007#1

I'm using UltraEdit 13.00a+2.

I just lost a couple of hours work due to a failed FTP upload from UE. UE replaced the file with a blank file, after a message "Can't update a running file" or something like that. Might have been, but the result is I've lost a lot of work.

I checked my backup folder (which I set up a long time ago), FTP files weren't there among the other backups. I do remember this to be working in earlier versions of UE (but not 100% sure).

So the real problem:
    I can't get the backups to work for FTP files - could someone help me out?

These are my settings:

Configuration -> File Handling -> Backup

Append .BAK to existing extention

Default backup directory:
    C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\Backups

Time between automatic saves: 0 (no automatic saves)

Version backup: On Save is ticked.
    Format: $b$n.$c$e
    Maximum number of backups: -1 (unlimited)

I tried restarting UE etc., but no luck.

TIA, Tijs Wickardt, Bertus Distributie, Netherlands

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 04, 2007#2

Have you read the power tip Configure FTP Backup which of course I don't have because I don't use FTP accounts.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 04, 2007#3

Yes, I did read that in another thread (and set it up), thank you.

It's not the same as a backup though - in case of accidentally adding bugs to a unix script, I'd want the previous version back.

It would have saved my work from this morning tho, if I had known about it earlier.

From the power tip, I read between the lines that UE doesn't support a versioned backup of FTP files? That would be a shame...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 04, 2007#4

Either another user can help with version backup on FTP files or you contact IDM support per email. I don't use version backup and I don't use the FTP feature. So I can't help you further on this issue. Sorry.

MasterMaster

Jun 04, 2007#5

What shall be saved ? Every Save is a backup-version ?
            Unfortunately the nice function "make copy/backup" cannot be accessed via macro :-(
            So you have to write your own and bind it to a "special save key".
            what is to do, roughly:
            - copy active (ftp)-file to clipboard.
            - paste in new tab
            - Top. paste file name, paste active date & time
            - cut
            - save to local file like c:\temp\mybackup\myftpfile.c-2007060420:13:55 with the help of "current selection" in the filename. I think this should be possible.
            - delete tab without a save

rds Bego
            Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

NewbieNewbie

Jun 05, 2007#6

Hi Bego,

Thanks for your creative suggestion.
              I wouldn't want the clipboard to be erased every time I save a file, but maybe I will follow the rest of the idea and write a macro or an external tool.

The UE "Version Backup" for "normal" files is working fine, that's just what I want. A shame they didn't make the small effort to also make this work for ftp files (and even more of a shame that this is not mentioned on the configuration screen).

Kind regards, Tijs Wickardt

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 05, 2007#7

Before you write a macro, contact IDM support per email and ask if the version backup feature is really not working for FTP files. Maybe it is working and only nobody of us does know how.

MasterMaster

Jun 05, 2007#8

1. I will check tomorrow in business if FTP backup works. I do not think so.
                  2. You can switch to a temporary clipboard in macro language, so this is no big deal. I just did not mention it, because it is a minor issue.

Bego

Jun 06, 2007#9

Well, stop the macro.... "File", "make backup/copy" works fine via menu and saves a copy to your local drive. You just still have to extend the filename by your own... say xyz001.txt
                    But this is no big deal I think...

NewbieNewbie

Jun 06, 2007#10

Hi Bego,

Thanks for your investigation!

This solution doesn't satisfy me however. The backup should automatically be made for each file, and should be a case of "set and forget". I don't want to notice anything, but the backup should be there if something goes terribly wrong (those two or three times a year).

Like the very true saying: "Data that doesn't exist twice, is no data".

I do have another question you might be able to answer very easily - is it possible to bind a keystroke (Ctrl-S) to a specific macro?

Kind regards + thanks again, Tijs

MasterMaster

Jun 06, 2007#11

Sure you can.
                        Menu: "Macro", "Delete Macro/Modify properties".

Maybe I find the time to write this one but I think not right now ...
                        You're welcome.

Bego

Jun 06, 2007#12

Must have been blind or I forget things too fast.
                          I once created a solution for backups (should work for FTP too).
                          backup
                          Just replace the filepath stuff with a hardcoded c:\backups\" or sth. like that and forget about the replaces.
                          With a bit of work it should be easy to get this running.

rds Bego

NewbieNewbie

Jun 07, 2007#13

Bego wrote:Sure you can.
                            Menu: "Macro", "Delete Macro/Modify properties".
                            Heh, that simple. Was looking at the Key Mapping in Configuration... Thanks a lot.

About the backup macro: great, I'll take it from there.

You've been a lot of help, thanks, Tijs