Xterm style copy/paste?

Xterm style copy/paste?

NewbieNewbie

Jun 06, 2007#1

Does UltraEdit support unix style copy/paste like putty does?
    Where you can select something and just paste it in with the mouse?
    If not, does anyone know of an editor that does?

MasterMaster

Jun 06, 2007#2

I think UE can meet you halfways.

In UE13.00: Advanced - Configuration - Editor - Miscellaneous you'll find the option:

Automatically copy to clipboard when selection is made

However this option will not make the mouse paste the clipboard contents directly. Right click will however show a popup menu from where you can click on paste.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 07, 2007#3

Nice tip.. thank you.

It would be nice to add the "other half" but that's a good start.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 07, 2007#4

Maybe if you explain what Xterm style copy/paste exactly is for those who don't know putty like I, then we propably can give you more suggestions.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

brass
          brass

Jun 08, 2007#5

I would also like this.

What the xterm copy/paste means is where you select a line, group of lines, or just a word or two, and once you let go of the left mouse button, whatever was highlighted is automatically on the clipboard.

It's the Unix way of copy/paste, whatever is highlighted is "The Clipboard"

brass
            brass

Jun 08, 2007#6

also, middle click = paste would be nifty, since I'm asking.

Is there a way to write this in the scripting language?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 08, 2007#7

brass wrote:What the xterm copy/paste means is where you select a line, group of lines, or just a word or two, and once you let go of the left mouse button, whatever was highlighted is automatically on the clipboard.
                Then new setting Automatically copy to clipboard when selection is made is what you need to enable. But this feature is not available in UE v13.00a+2. It will be available in next version which will be v13.10 where currently the release candidate is available for the beta testers. So next week look out for UltraEdit v13.10.

MasterMaster

Jun 08, 2007#8

:oops: Sorry my mistake. I run both 13.00a and 13.10 beta and was not aware which version I was using at the time I wrote the post above about this option.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 13, 2007#9

I don't see how always copying the selection to the clipboard is more useful than annoying. It's been a while since I've used Unix/Linux by itself, but everyday I use Linux through Exceed on a Windows box.

In this case selecting text in a Exceed/Linux window copies it to a secondary clipboard that doesn't overwrite anything I've copied manually.

This is useful because it essentially gives me easy access to multiple clipboards.

So if I use ctrl-c text is copied to the main clipboard and selections are copied to a second clipboard. Ctrl-v pastes from the main clipboard and middle clicking pastes from the secondary clipboard. Though with Exceed/Linux the second clipboard is only valid when text is selected.

I've suggested this to the UltraEdit developers a couple times in the past, but no luck so far.

Jun 13, 2007#10

Did you know that UEStudio (and UltraEdit) have up to 9 user clipboards in addition to the standard Windows clipboard already as a built-in feature?

Jun 13, 2007#11

Yes, but copy by selection and middle click paste will make them easy to use. As it is now I never use multiple clipboards as it's a pain to keep track of what's where.

I do use a program called Clipboard Recorder though so I can recall previous text I've copied.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 14, 2007#12

With the auto copy feature and some macros you can get closely to what you want. Only paste from second clipboard with middle mouse will not be possible, you need a different hotkey instead. I have nothing below tested.

First macro must be executed once on startup of UltraEdit and contains only 1 line:

Clipboard 1

So now the default clipboard for the auto copy feature is user clipboard 1.

Second macro is for copying a text to the Windows clipboard. Assign hotkey Ctrl+C to this macro:

Clipboard 0
                          Copy
                          Clipboard 1

Third macro is to paste from Windows clipboard, assign hotkey Ctrl+V to this macro:

Clipboard 0
                          Paste
                          Clipboard 1

Fourth macro is to paste from user clipboard 1 the last automatically copied text to this clipboard:

Clipboard 1
                          Paste

And so on for Ctrl+X, Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+X and Paste & Copy command. I know, not perfect but maybe helpful for you. But when you really use this, the copy, cut and paste toolbar and menu commands are also working with user clipboard 1 and not with the Windows clipboard.

BTW: UltraEdit has also a clipboard recorder - click on View - Views/Lists - Clipboard History.

brass
                          brass

Jun 15, 2007#13

Happy now that 13.10 is out! Works excellent!

I just wrote a program to hang out in systray that pastes on middle click, and I can leave out my SSH apps and others that can already do it, or middle button is used for something else so it doesn't mess those up.

Almost tweaked perfectly!

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 27, 2007#14

Actually, I wish that the built-in SSH console in UE would work that way. Right now, you have to use a right-click context menu. It's quite inefficient.

Still, I love the little thing for those quick: log in, execute a command, log out. Like when I edit the /etc/aliases file on our mailserver and all I wanna do is run 'newaliases'.
                              -- The Digital Sorceress