Removing quotes within quotes (CSV)

Removing quotes within quotes (CSV)

NewbieNewbie

Jun 25, 2007#1

Hello all..

I am using UE version 12.20.

I am trying to remove quotes within quotes on a rather large data file that we need to process into our DB.

For some reason this one is give me a run for my money I am sure it's an easy one for the experts here!!

Sample text:

,"003","N041100","","LASER WELD WIRE 10""LG","350906",

in this line the quotes (in bold) are within another set of quotes which is bad. I would like to search and remove this condition from my data. The quotes will always occur within another set of qoutes that are located between two comma's.

Ok condition , "",
    This is acceptable and should not be removed.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can provide!!
    Kizzy

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 26, 2007#2

My first thought is, why try to remove the quotes and mangle your data in the process? Your sample text is valid CSV (quotes within each value are escaped by doubling them), so any tools designed to work with CSV should parse it correctly. For example:

Code: Select all

Plain text:  LASER WELD WIRE 10"LG
      CSV encoded:  "LASER WELD WIRE 10""LG"
      If you really must remove the quotes for some reason, I think it would be easier to use a tool designed to work with CSV files. For example, open the CSV file in Excel, search+replace the quotes, and re-save as CSV.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 26, 2007#3

scallanh I am with you 100% we are importing about 2.2 GB of data from AS400 land into a SQL Server 2007 DB via an extracted CVS file. For some crazy reason SQL Server 2007 throws up all over the quotes within the quotes. Researching online says this seems to be a know bug. /sigh

The replace idea has potential will give it a go!

MasterMaster

Jun 26, 2007#4

hi dudes,

if I understood this correctly, a replace like "no comma, double quotes, no comma" should solve the problem.
          Perl regexp:
          find:

([^,])\"\"([^,])
          replace with:

$1$2
          so you get:

,"003","N041100","","LASER WELD WIRE 10LG","350906",
          Is that ok ?

rds Bego
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

MasterMaster

Jun 26, 2007#5

Hi bego,

clever idea :)

However, you don't need to escape the quotes.

([^,])""([^,])
            should work too...

And of course if you use negative lookaround, you can search for

(?<!,)""(?!,)
            and replace with nothing (or something like "inch" etc.) which is a LOT faster.

Cheers,
            Tim

NewbieNewbie

Jun 26, 2007#6

You guys rock! I really need to start learning the Perl RegExpressions aspect. I mostly do very basic stuff using the Unix Reg. Thanks for all your help!!

Kizzy

MasterMaster

Jun 26, 2007#7

Hi Tim,

you're right. Thx for the tip.

kizzy, you can do the same with UE regexp or Unix regexp. Perl is just my personal favorite style. Glad to hear it works.

Bego
                Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit