No context menu in Vista

No context menu in Vista

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 30, 2007#1

Am I the only one that has no UC context menu in Windows Explorer? I am running Vista x64 on a Woodcrest Xeon system. :(

NewbieNewbie

Aug 09, 2007#2

I think you'll find similar issues if you search the forum, but I seem to recall that either the context menu doesn't work on x64, or there's something you need to do do make it work.

Oh, and the 5.00a bugfix may fix this issue for you.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 04, 2007#3

IDM has some kind of bug when UAC is disabled in Vista.
        I am also waiting for this to get fixed.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 10, 2007#4

MagFly wrote:IDM has some kind of bug when UAC is disabled in Vista.
          I am also waiting for this to get fixed.
          "Disabled"? My UAC has always been enabled. Anyway, I just downloaded and installed the latest (5.00b) version after a clean Vista (re)install, however I still got no UC context menu entries... :( :(

Sep 19, 2007#5

Installed v5.10, still no context menus. If that's such an intractable issue, why do they keep advertising it as a feature? Why not just drop it? Anybody else experiencing this?

Sep 20, 2007#6

Alright, here's another chapter, hopefully the last one, in the "non-IDM developer, amateur debugging/diagnosing UC context menu issues" saga.

There are two explorer.exe files, one in the root of the Windows folder, and another one in the SysWOW64 subfolder. Interestingly enough, the one in the SysWOW64 subfolder is Windows Explorer's 32 bit version (explorer.exe *32) while the other one is the 64-bit version. When browsing with the 32 bit version, IDM's context menu entries (as well as others, like NIS2008's very useful "Scan with Norton" entry) show up quite nicely, however they do not show up when using the 64 bit version. This leads to the conclusion that UC's context menu extensions just don't work with the 64 bit version (hopefully not just yet).

There you have it, took me countless hours of grief, online research and self-doubting etc. to reach this conclusion--very much by accident, I might add. Instead of deleting my IDM forum posts, some IDM developer could've simply taken the time to explain this in two lines. :roll:

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 20, 2007#7

In the main topic about shell integation of UltraEdit right click to "open in UltraEdit" I have written a post about using the 32-bit Windows Explorer in WinXP 64-bit and I guess, Vista is similar. Well, I don't have any 64-bit Windows.

For UltraEdit and UEStudio a 64-bit shell extension exists and as far as I know from other users also works. I don't know if there is also a 64-bit shell extension for UltraCompare.

Have you ever reported this to IDM support per email. IDM is not reading in the user-to-user forums as written at top of every forum page when not logged in.
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 22, 2007#8

Mofi wrote:Have you ever reported this to IDM support per email. IDM is not reading in the user-to-user forums as written at top of every forum page when not logged in.
                  I did try, and here's the conclusion they seem to have reached:

"Thanks for your response. I believe this is a bug of the Vista x64 OS. I will ask our developers to look into this."

I frankly don't think is Vista's fault. Other applications do not seem to have any problems placing their stuff in the context menu. (NIS2007/8 is a notable exception, unfortunately.) It's just that they (i.e. IDM developers) probably do not feel like writing another set of extensions for Vista x64, at least not until Vista x64 users become a sizable chunk of the market. That may take some time however, so they're taking their sweet time... Gotta love that. :roll: One lone voice ain't gonna change their minds.