Help with Korean Characters using English UE version

Help with Korean Characters using English UE version

NewbieNewbie

Aug 07, 2007#1

Question:
    I've got the English version of UltraEdit Pro Ver 13.10a+1. I need to create Korean language versions of a Website and have successfully finished the Chinese version.

I'm trying to build the Korean Version, but I can not get UltraEdit to display any Korean Characters.

I'm running the following:

Version:
    UltraEdit-32 Professional Text/HTX Editor Version 13.10a+1

Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2

Windows Regional and Language Options:
    1) Installed files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)
    2) Installed files for East Asian languages.
    3) Korean characters appear fine using MS Word and Korean websites appear fine in MS IE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 07, 2007#2

Make sure that you have specified at View - Set Font and View - Set HEX/Column Mode Font a font and Script which supports Korean. Also make sure that View - OEM Character Set is not active. Last check if at Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale the correct code page is specified for Korean.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 07, 2007#3

Thank you... your directions worked!

NewbieNewbie

Feb 11, 2008#4

I have also problems displaying Korean characters (Hangul writing) in English version of UltraEdit Pro Ver 13.20a+1, just as mr. Mofi. I manage to display (write) correct characters, however they are turned into questionmarks (?) immediately after I press any key.

Version:
          UltraEdit-32 Professional Text/HTX Editor Version 13.20a+1
          Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2
          Installed files for East Asian languages.
          Korean characters appear fine using MS Word and Korean websites appear fine in MS IE.

Settings in UltraEdit:
          View - Set Font (Tried Dotum and Botang, script: Hangul)
          View - Set HEX/Column Mode Font (Tried Dotum and Botang, script: Hangul)
          View - OEM Character Set not active
          Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale (Tried all options that belong to Korean, e.g. ASI/OEM - Korean and ISO Korean)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 11, 2008#5

I managed to solve the problem with questionmarks.

What I did is the following:
            Control Panel
            Regional And Language Options
            Advanced
            Chose "Korean" in the first Scrollbox.

With regards,
            mozina

NewbieNewbie

Mar 20, 2008#6

Hy,

I followed the above described instructions and can see the signs, but they are turned on the left side.
              I'm not familiar with chinese signs and like to see them like on the Webpage to verify some expressions, turning them again makes work much more difficult.
              Anybody has a solution (and perhaps knwos why they are turned)?

Thanks David

Supplement:
              Took another Font, now it's showed correctly. Nevertheless I'd like to get an answere referring my questions also because rendering of my Asian font isn't as readable as the other font.

Site AdminSite Admin

Mar 20, 2008#7

Are you using a Unicode font preceded by "@"? As indicated on Microsoft's site here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/123391

"Arial, Times New Roman, and Helvetica fonts work well with English characters and most European characters, but not with Japanese characters. The Japanese fonts that have font names starting with '@' are vertical fonts, meaning they are designed specifically for vertical writing (writing from top to bottom and right to left)."

"@" fonts are not suitable for English (or other languages) where writing is horizontal (left to right). Switch to a Unicode font not preceded by the "@" symbol under View -> Set Font.