13.10a+2 slowdown

13.10a+2 slowdown

MasterMaster

Aug 31, 2007#1

Up until a week ago, I had been running 13.10a+1 with no problems. I copied the +2 files to my UE directory, started UE, and immediately noticed that the program seemed to be running in slow motion. As an example, when I placed the cursor on a line and clicked the Comment Out toolbar icon, I experienced a wait of a second or two before the commenting took place. When selecting twenty lines of text and doing a Search and Replace in Selected Text, UE seemed to sit there doing nothing for a second or two before carrying out the operation.

This will wear you out in a hurry during a long day of programming!

I've gone back and forth reinstalling the 13.10a+1 distribution, testing, then overwriting with the +2 files and testing some more. Results are consistent - on my system, the +2 hotfix is too painful to use.

Anybody else seen this problem?
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 31, 2007#2

That's strange. I don't have any delay when using "Comment Add/Remove" or "Replace All" on selected text only. There is no difference between v13.10a+1 and +2.

You could use the tool Process Monitor from SysInternals. Maybe you can see what is causing the delay.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 01, 2007#3

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing. It's not just those items you mentioned, but about every menu and right-click operations. Very, _very_ frustrating. Process Monitor (sysinternals) shows nothing out of the ordinary and the cpu never runs above 1%. Heaven forbid, I used TP a couple of times today because I couldn't wait. :cry:

NewbieNewbie

Nov 09, 2007#4

I have 13.20+2 -- and see about a 7-second delay for each menu selection or right-click in the body of a file. This is on a brand new machine; I moved (re-installed) when moved to this new, fast machine.

Neddy

MasterMaster

Nov 13, 2007#5

I have 13.20+2 -- and see about a 7-second delay for each menu selection or right-click in the body of a file. This is on a brand new machine; I moved (re-installed) when moved to this new, fast machine.
            I'm now running 13.20+2 on a brand new, fast laptop with XP Pro. The program is definitely sluggish, enough so to be very aggravating by the end of the day. Every time I click a toolbar icon, I see a noticeable delay. Stepping through a search and replace in a block of selected text is just plain SLOW.

I've tried disabling other programs that might be contributing to the problem, but that didn't help. Like some other people, I'm not savy enough to get much good from tools like Process Monitor.

What's up with this program?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 13, 2007#6

mrainey56 wrote:I'm now running 13.20+2 on a brand new, fast laptop with XP Pro.
              I'm also running XP Pro. I went back to 13.10.a, but that didn't fix anything. Process Explorer shows nothing untoward. Since 13.20+2 ran OK on Windows 2000 (my previous machine), it appears to be the combination of XP Pro and any of the latest two releases of UltraEdit.

UltraEdit is useless with this performance.

Neddy

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 13, 2007#7

Just a little question. Do you use templates and where is your Uetmplte.dat stored?

Or in other words: Which directory is specified at Configuration - Directories as Template Directory? Is it a directory where you have unlimited and fast read/write access.

And where is your uedit32.ini? Is it on a local drive or on a network drive?

I will answer why I ask that if it makes a difference when uedit32.ini and Uetmplte.dat is on a local drive with full access permissions.
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 13, 2007#8

Well, well, well. I haven't used templates, but this is what it was set to:

\\kccd4rb\c$\util\uedit\ (which is my machine name)

I changed it to the following, my local installation, which is really no different from that above:

c:\util\uedit

and now everything works fine. Everything is snappy again.

OK, I guess it was doing some kind of network request, which was responsible for its slowness.

My .ini file is also (already) local. I looked at the .ini file and made sure the other refererences to \\kccd4rb\c$ were changed to c: -- I don't need to make a network connection to my own machine.

I installed this as a "normal" install and not a "network" installation.

Thanks for the help!

Neddy

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 13, 2007#9

Yes, using UNC paths or even a network drive to a share on the same computer with a drive letter activates the WinXP security and permissions checks which decreases heavily the speed.

Two colleagues created a share on their machines and assigned a drive letter to it to be able to use full file names to program resources (BMPs, ICOs, ...) although the start of real local resources path differs. But after doing that Visual Studio required always an extremly long time to compile.

My hint was to disconnect this drive, remove the share and write a 1 line batch file with good old subst to assign a drive letter to the individual root directory of the resources and run this batch file on Windows start. And Visual Studio compiled again fast.
                    Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Nov 18, 2007#10

Mofi,

Your Template Directory suggestion didn't help, so I bit the bullet and uninstalled UE, including manual deletion of all UE directories and as much of a registry clean as I felt comfortable with. The uedit32.ini file had been used and modified by a number of successive UE versions, and I had the feeling it might be best to start from scratch.

I reinstalled, being careful to specify a normal installation and a proper template directory.

The program runs much better now, with no hesitations. Thanks very much for your helpful ideas.

Mike

Dec 26, 2007#11

I'll start with the fact I've been using UE for 7years and love and promote it to ANYONE who uses an editor. Period. :D

I too am have been experiencing slowness on UE OPEN(start) and FILE SAVE ops.
                        I have 13.20a and noticed it since this rev.
                        I have everything on the C: drive, but do have things pointed elswhere:
                        UEINIDIR: c:\sja\customized\ultraedit-32
                        Macro and template dirs point to there in "Config Directories".

I checked my uedit32.ini for any "network" or "subst" drives, and do not have any.

Example#1 of a SAVE delay/slowness:Open a file of 47k (2200 lines).
                        Hit ENTER key anywhere.
                        Do FILE SAVE.
                        I see the WAIT cursor for about 30secs.

Example#2 Config Modification
                        Open CONFIG dialog box.
                        Make any change.
                        Do APPLY or OK.
                        Again, same results of a long WAIT cursor.

If anyone needs more examples, system info (XPPRO-SP2, 512MB, 1.10ghz) newly built system.

Some add'l notes:
                        I had these services running (which could interfere) and disabled them:
                        Help and Support
                        GOOGLE Desktop and other services

Regards all.