Unix file "Convert CR/LFs to Wrap" problem

Unix file "Convert CR/LFs to Wrap" problem

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 10, 2007#1

Sorry if this ~is~ answered somewhere, but I did search first...

Now, I know that UE can be set to work in DOS mode regardless of the originating file type, converting back to originating type on save, but I've occasionally run into problems where I accidentally had a file saved as DOS. SO, I with UNIX file mode as the default, and have UltraEdit NOT convert to/from, preferring to manually decide

In the past, working in this mode, I could still highlight a block of text that had newlines, and have the "remove CR/LF" properly remove them. However, I noticed that at some point, this has stopped working. I can convert the file to DOS, then do the removal and then convert back and it works ok, so I guess the "Remove CR/LF" feature is literally only removing the combination, and not "all carriage returns and all linefeeds".

SO, my question is, short of working in DOS mode, or writing a macro to do the replace the way I wanted, Is there some setting or something I'm missing?

In other words, is what I'm experiencing a bug or is it a feature?

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I'm trying to account for possible questions or confusion in advance. :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Unix file "remove CR/LF" problem

Sep 10, 2007#2

Are you talking about Format - Convert CR/LFs to Wrap?

Yes, this command works only for files/selections with DOS line termination as help and the name of the command already indicate it.

Write a feature request email to IDM support and ask for an improvement of Convert CR/LFs to Wrap and Convert Wrap to CR/LFs to work also for UNIX/MAC files opened in UNIX/MAC edit mode (= without temporary conversion to DOS).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 14, 2007#3

Mofi,

Thanks... I'll do that.

It's not my highest priority, just seems like it should work that way. :)

Cheers,
        DS