Syntax Highlighting in Search Result Window

Syntax Highlighting in Search Result Window

NewbieNewbie

Sep 19, 2007#1

I use UltraEdit to go through log files of my applications, which can be 10s of MBs large. A search on such a large file can result in thousands of entries in the Search Result Window. It will be a lot easier to go through these entries of interest if syntax highlighting is also available in the Search Result Window.

I have put a feature request for syntax highlighting in Search Result Window. I received a prompt reply saying that it may be considered for a future release.

This is open for all to comment.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2007#2

Although it is a good idea, which "window" do you mean: the output "window" normally at bottom of the UltraEdit window or the "List lines containing find string:" "window"?

I'm not a Windows programmer, but I know that both are not real windows like a document window. And I know that there are big differences between a document window object, a list view object (= output window) and a resizeable dialog object (= list lines...). I have never seen a program which has displayed colored text in a list view or a multi-line area in a dialog.

Maybe what I have written here is nonsense, but I would not be too optimistic to get syntax highlighting ever for search results in one of these 2 "windows".

If you mean the document window ** Find Results ** created when running a Find In Files with output to an edit window then you can already syntax highlight it. Just use View - View As (Highlighting File Type) - ???. Since UES v6.10 and UE v12.20 at Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting the setting Highlight new files as can be used to define a syntax highlighting language for new files which is used also for the ** Find Results ** document window. Users with an older version of UE/UES could use the default syntax highlighting feature described at syntax highlighting on a new file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 30, 2008#3

Hi all,

I came back on this feature, since I'm also really interested in...
        When I compile my C project, the result goes in the "Output List box".
        Then I can double click on errors to automatically open the file at the right line...
        I would like to hightlight the errors in red to see them easily....

Is it possible ? I don't see anything on this topic...
        I use UE 11.10b

thanks in advance for your help

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 30, 2008#4

No, that is not possible. And of course I don't miss it for compiler outputs because when I compile my C or C++ projects the output window will be opened (if not already open) only if warnings or errors are reported by the compiler. I have configured all my compilers NOT to output info messages like the version of the compiler, which configuration is compiled, which files are processed, etc. So the compiler outputs only lines with errors and warnings and nothing else. If the output window is not opened or empty when it was already open as I started the build process, I automatically know, that my project compiled without any warning or error.

You might be also interested in the tool described at Find in Files -- Increase Edit Window Functionality.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria