DOS Directory Listing?

DOS Directory Listing?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 25, 2007#1

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here it goes. I ran a dos directory listing and it is over 100MB. The problem is that I can't put it into Access or anything to group and report on it. There is a line with the path for a directory, then all of the files under it, which looks like fixed with or tab delimited. Under that is a total for that directory. Then the next one.

I can't seem to figure out how to clean this up, or how to re-run the directory from UE, so that I can get a clean delimited file for all files and folders/subfolders in this directory.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, :D

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 25, 2007#2

What exactly do you need from the listing?

If you need only the file names with full path do following:

In UltraEdit open Search - Find In Files.

Clear everything in the Find field.

Select Files Listed if it is not already selected.

Write into In Files/Types *.* .

Browse for the root directory of your search.

Check option Search Sub Directories and Results to Edit Window and uncheck all other options.

Execute the search with button Find.

Depending on your version of UltraEdit you get now a list of files found in a Unicode or an ASCII text file. If you don't need Unicode, use File - Conversions - Unicode to ASCII.

By the way: dir /s /b >filelist.txt produces the same result.

If you need more data from the directory listing, it is no problem to delete everything not needed with a few regular expression replaces.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 29, 2011#3

Thanks, This is great info! I will have to try it sometime. What if I wanted created date, modified date and md5hash? I thought I would throw a challenge at you, since you seem to be up to it! hahaha
        :D

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 29, 2011#4

Have you ever entered in a command prompt window or in UltraEdit in DOS Command dialog opened with Advanced - DOS Command the command dir /? to see that the very old DOS command dir offers on options for getting a directory listing? No! You should do that. Getting a list with creation date or last modified date is no problem with DOS command dir.

For a list of md5hash values for all files of a directory you need a batch file which runs a md5hash calculation on all files of a directory (tree) and output them into a file.