Non-printable characters

Non-printable characters

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 24, 2007#1

Hello,

usually with the function "View - Show Spaces/Tabs" (hope that's the corrrect translation, I use the German version, there it's "Ansicht/Nicht druckbare Zeichen ein/aus") I can switch to displaying the non-printable characters, e. g. to see, whether there is a space or a tab.

However in this view mode besides the dots for spaces and the double arrows for tabs I also see some characters, which still appear as spaces, i. e. they are not represented by another character, which indicates the kind of the (original) character.

What does the space characters in this view mean, even when the non-printable characters are switched on?

Currently I use version 11.10+1.

Thanks for all good hints.

Thomas Wiedmann

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 24, 2007#2

In the English version the name of the function is better because it is Show Spaces/Tabs. When enabled in your version of UltraEdit, you will see a space (ASCII hexadecimal code 0x20), horizontal tabs (hex code 0x09) and line endings (DOS: CR LF = 0x13 0x10) displayed with other characters. In English these characters are often defined by the name "white-space" characters.

But there are more white-space characters as the 4 characters listed above. For example the non-breaking-space which has hex code 0xA0. Even with this view enabled, a non-breaking-space will be further displayed as space (if correct font and codepage is used).

If you are interested in the code of a character, set the cursor left to it and click on Search - Character Properties.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria