Can UEStudio 06 capture console output?

Can UEStudio 06 capture console output?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 29, 2007#1

Hi, we are a small company of about 10 developers and we would like to buy your UEStudio product. For the moment, we have tested it in evaluation mode and before buy it we would like to know if it is possible to capture the console output when execute a project. The capture is automatic for building mode but we found no way to have it in execute mode.
    Is it possible to do this? It's necessary for use in order to see the logs of the execution.
    thanks,

french developers

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 29, 2007#2

Well, an excellent question. For my current project which is also a Windows console application with no user interaction I would like to simple run the EXE with output captured to one of the 4 output windows of UEStudio.

I could not find any possibility to force UEStudio to capture the execution of my program. I could only disable the console window. As a workaround I have created a project tool at Advanced - Project Tool Configuration with following settings:

Tab Command
      Menu Item Name: Run ???
      Command Line: "%rpRelease\%rn.exe" ???
      Working Directory: %rpRelease
      Toolbar bitmap/icon (file path): whatever you like and have

Tab Options
      Program Type: Dos Program
      Save Active File: unchecked
      Save all files first: unchecked

Tab Output
      Command Output: Output to List Box
      Show DOS Box: unchecked
      Capture Output: checked
      Replace selected text with: No Replace

Now I can run my application after a build or rebuild and get the output of my application to the output window currently selected. The difference to Build - Run Application is that I must manually make sure that the EXE is built new before running my application.

A quick solution is also to append at Build - Set Compiler Options - Command Line Arguments = after the name of your exe and the additional options >"path to file\file name.log" to let Windows capture the application output of the console program to a specified file. You can open that file in UEStudio.

However, I will send an email to IDM support and ask if it is possible to directly capture the execution of the application to the output window with a modified configuration. I will post here the answer from IDM support. (This is a user-to-user forum!)
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 29, 2007#3

thks for your answer. I can see we have the same matter.
        I already thought about using project tools but I think we cannot use project variables such as DEBUG flags so I don't care about it.
        For the second method it's the solution I use for the moment but it's not comfortable.

I am very interested about the answer IDM can give you.
        Thks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 29, 2007#4

I got the answer from IDM support.
          IDM Support wrote:It's not currently possible to do what you've described here, but I can certainly see how this could be useful in the situation you've described. This may be considered for a future release.
          This was the interesting part of the email I have sent to IDM support.
          Mofi wrote:Is it possible to capture the output of "Run Application" to one of the 4 output windows of UEStudio?

With help of UEStudio libraries and applications could be created and for 1 type of applications like the one I'm currently developing it would be fine to have a possibility to capture the output with UEStudio to the current active output window when clicking on icon for "Run Application".

My application is a 32 bit Windows console application created with DJGPP which will later run within batch files. Therefore it does not need user interactions and just prints some messages to stdout (normal and error messages).

I could not find a configuration setting to force UEStudio to simply capture the output of my application to the output window when I run it by clicking on the "Run Application" symbol in the UEStudio toolbar.

As workaround I have created a project tool which runs my EXE and captures the output.

But it would be even better if I could for example modify in my local DJGPP application configuration

[Execute Application]
          Title = Execute $T
          Cmd0 = $(Command Line Arguments)
          Depends = $T
          ShowWindow = 1
          DisplayConsole = 1

to

[Execute Application]
          Title = Execute $T
          Cmd0 = $(Command Line Arguments)
          Depends = $T
          ShowWindow = 0
          DisplayConsole = 0
          GrabOut = 1

and UEStudio simply runs my EXE with the command line arguments I have specified at Build - Set Compiler Options and captures the output of my EXE from standard output to the output window.

I know, for all other types of files created with UEStudio and a compiler, capturing the output is simply not possible (Windows GUI applications, firmwares) or will not work (console applications with user input).