Mouse-wheel scrolling in split window

Mouse-wheel scrolling in split window

NewbieNewbie

Dec 11, 2007#1

When I split a window and scroll with the mouse-wheel, it's always the upper pane that scrolls.

Is there a way to scroll the pane that has the focus?

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2007#2

I'm using ver 13.20 and if I split a window, whichever window has the cursor over it will scroll. I have a single window open and split it vertically. I'm not sure I see your problem.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 11, 2007#3

I'm using version 13.20a, a wireless optical mouse (IntelliPoint driver), and a KVM switch (Avocent/Cybex, PS/2 ports).

Maybe your sophisticated mouse driver makes you able to scroll the lower pane, and mine does not?
        If the pane scrolling depends on the mouse driver, my problem still persists.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2007#4

I have the same problem with IBM's simulated scrolling button (on a Thinkpad laptop). It was broken between the 12.20b and 13.00 release. I've already reported this months ago. Perhaps if you also report it to IDM, we can get them to fix this.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2007#5

I'm using an IBM think centre and IBM corded optical mouse.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 11, 2007#6

I use a simple 2 button mouse with a wheel and the mouse driver is standard "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" and I don't have any problem with split windows and scrolling. If the upper pane has the focus, the mouse wheel scrolls the upper pane. If the lower pane has the focus, the mouse wheel scrolls the lower pane. I tested it with UE v13.20a.

Always the window pane should scroll where the cursor blinks. Those which have problems, could you test it in other applications like MS Word or Adobe Reader.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2007#7

I've found a way to scroll whichever pane your mouse is over regardless of where the text cursor is.

I use KatMouse to scroll whatever window is under my mouse cursor. To make it work with UE's split window I needed to go into KatMouse's settings, Classes tab and drag the target icon over the UE pane so it would know to scroll it.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 11, 2007#8

@Mofi: I don't have any problems with pane scrolling in other applications.

This is what my problem looks like (animated screen capture):

http://www.fpss.info/ue/UEmousewheelscrolling.swf (flash)
                  or
                  Mouse-wheel scrolling in split window - UltraEdit 13.20a

@SamHasler: Thank you for the link to KatMouse. I think I will use KatMouse as a workaround.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2007#9

Mofi, I have confirmed that split window scrolling works fine in MS Word. I've also confirmed many times in the past that it worked the way we expect in 12.20b and has been broken since 13.00. It also works fine in UE 13.x on a different machine of mine with a normal mouse driver. The problem is only with the software emulation mouse drivers.

In the past, simply hovering over (and not giving focus) and scrolling any pane in the UE window could cause that pane to scroll. ie, hover/scroll over the function list, it scrolls; hover/scroll over the explorer pane, it scroll; hover/scroll over either half of a split pane, it scrolls. This was great behavior.

With the latest versions, the scrolling behavior works the same for all panes *except* over the editor pane when it is split. Now, the correct split pane doesn't scroll even if you make sure you give it focus first.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 11, 2007#10

roland wrote:In the past, simply hovering over (and not giving focus) and scrolling any pane in the UE window could cause that pane to scroll. ie, hover/scroll over the function list, it scrolls; hover/scroll over the explorer pane, it scroll; hover/scroll over either half of a split pane, it scrolls. This was great behavior.
                      You are right and I could see that this really works with UE v13.20a on my computer. I found the line

v12.20 2006-10-12
                      Mouse wheel scrolls window under mouse pointer

in readme.txt of UltraEdit v13.20a.

There is also another mouse wheel related line in readme.txt:

v12.20a 2006-10-26
                      Added support for mouse wheel scroll in SSH/Telnet console

I did not know that because I make everything with the keyboard when working with UltraEdit or UEStudio. I'm a keyboard freak.
                      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria